Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare Medal, First World War

Jeanette

Know of a person who I don't trust or believe..... who went to our local newspaper and had a reporter print a story about his great grandfather's medal. Hoping someone can help? This man is a compulsive liar and was married to my aunt. He claims his great grandfather "WILLIAM McGOWAN" served during the first world war with the 72nd. (BC) Canadian Infantry. He continued to say the Royal Naval Reserve long service and Good Conduct medal was one of a very few issued by King Edward VII, who was King for only 12 yrs. before his death.

The medal he has I believe was bought, not his gr. grandfather's. Do not believe he's related to this William McGowan what so ever. This person (who was married to aunt) was born in 1935 and was the youngest of 14 children. Do the math. He also said not only did his Great grandfather serve in WW1, but his father and uncles did also!

The medal is described in article.... "The silver medal was difficult to trace because the original ribbon, which was plain green, had white stripes added in 1941." The medal bears the Latin inscription Diuterne Fidelis.

Also states, the ribbon was changed to five equal stripes of blue, white, green, white and blue in 1958 following the amalgamation of Royal Navy Reserve and the Royal Navy Veterans Reserve.

Trying to find out records for this William McGowan to see if he is indeed related. According to him, his great grandfather died in the early 1960's and had emigrated to Canada from Britain at the turn of the century.

Any help, much appreciated!

The RNR LSM is a real medal,however as to its rarity,that is another matter,there are many hundreds if not 1000's of these awarded in the reign of Edward VII{along with many other Awards bearing his Bust by the way for a plethora of campaigns between 1901/2 & 1910/11,starting with the King's South Africa Medal 1902;Indian General Service Medal 1895,1908,The Africa General Service Medal,1902~1955;Natal 1906,as well as numerous Volunteer RNR,RNVR,Yeomanry Special Reserve,TEFM,Militia & Coronation & Long Service & Good Conduct Medals {Army & Royal Navy}.

Military Service Records{Front & Back Pages Free} are available on line from the Canadia Records Department{see Long Long Trail @ head of Forum for Links}

Thank you very much for your information. I have checked those records that you mentioned but still no luck

for any information regarding a connection to this person I mentioned.

Any help out there appreciated.

Well first off Jeanette you have a couple errors here in yr post:

"He continued to say the Royal Naval Reserve long service and Good Conduct medal was one of a very few issued by King Edward VII, who was King for only 12 yrs. before his death."

EVIIR ruled just over 9 yrs - Jan '01 to May '10.

The RNR LS medal with the EVIIR bust is not particularly rare or a particularly valuable medal, but certainly rarer than the geo V issue. It was not authorized until until 1908 & issue began in '09.

"in 1958 following the amalgamation of Royal Navy Reserve and the Royal Navy Veterans Reserve."

RNVR stands for Royal Naval VOLUNTEER Reserve.

However to help you a bit in yr search - if this man did indeed serve in the RNR his Service record might be found at the PRO in either (or both) of BT 164 or BT 377 series - these being the RNR ratings Service records for the pre '13 & post '14 periods.

To the best of my knowlwedge they are not available on line at present,

Bryan

He claims his great grandfather "WILLIAM McGOWAN" served during the first world war with the 72nd. (BC) Canadian Infantry.

Hello,

I am not doubting whether he served in the 72nd Bn or not. However, the 72nd Bn never served overseas in France. It was disbanded on arival in England and the soldiers were sent off as reinforcments for other units.

As for the Navy stuff, sorry I can't help you out there.

Cam

Hi Cam,

Are you sure about this? CEF isn't my thing, though I was a Seaforth Cadet as a kid; I've always believed the 72nd Highlanders of Canada served as a battalion in France in addition to providing drafts - checking over the internet, the Seaforth website history makes this fact clear...any thoughts?

Regards,

Chris

Hello,

I am not doubting whether he served in the 72nd Bn or not. However, the 72nd Bn never served overseas in France. It was disbanded on arival in England and the soldiers were sent off as reinforcments for other units.

As for the Navy stuff, sorry I can't help you out there.

Cam