Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doberitz POW camp

Adam Shaw

As a new member I was having a look at old posts of interest to me. I found a couple, about a year old, mentioning Doberitz. Rather than reply to "old" posts I thought I would mention here what I have in case it is of use / interest to anyone. A relative, Alexander Knowles, was a member of the RNVR. He was called up, served with the RND (Benbow Btn) and was taken prisoner at the battle of Antwerp. He was taken first to Bergerdam and then Doberitz. I have a postcard he sent from there to my grandfather. The postcard shows a photograph of 13 servicemen on the front, mainly in naval uniform and some in khaki, some standing and some seated in front of a wooden hut. I have a photgraph of Alexander Knowles and my grandfather taken in 1919 and I am unable to match that Alexander Knowles to any of the men in the POW card. The rear of the card is stamped 'Kriegsgefangenensendung' and '15 Gepruft Doberitz F.A.' If the photograph would assist anyone in making an identification of a relative I should be able to supply a scan. A cousin in Canada also has a Doberitz card, non photo this time, from May 1917.

• 2 weeks later...
As a new member I was having a look at old posts of interest to me. I found a couple, about a year old, mentioning Doberitz. Rather than reply to "old" posts I thought I would mention here what I have in case it is of use / interest to anyone. A relative, Alexander Knowles, was a member of the RNVR. He was called up, served with the RND (Benbow Btn) and was taken prisoner at the battle of Antwerp. He was taken first to Bergerdam and then Doberitz. I have a postcard he sent from there to my grandfather. The postcard shows a photograph of 13 servicemen on the front, mainly in naval uniform and some in khaki, some standing and some seated in front of a wooden hut. I have a photgraph of Alexander Knowles and my grandfather taken in 1919 and I am unable to match that Alexander Knowles to any of the men in the POW card. The rear of the card is stamped 'Kriegsgefangenensendung' and '15 Gepruft Doberitz F.A.' If the photograph would assist anyone in making an identification of a relative I should be able to supply a scan. A cousin in Canada also has a Doberitz card, non photo this time, from May 1917.

Alickie

Like many others, I am researching my father's involvement in the 14-18 conflict. He too was imprisoned at Doberitz and I would appreciate a scan - or copy by some other means. I have a card similar to that of your cousin - but dated 1916 - and will gladly reciprocate.

Please advise

• 5 weeks later...
Alickie

Like many others, I am researching my father's involvement in the 14-18 conflict. He too was imprisoned at Doberitz and I would appreciate a scan - or copy by some other means. I have a card similar to that of your cousin - but dated 1916 - and will gladly reciprocate.

Please advise

Here a few pictures I found published on Dobertitz..

No idea if of ineterst to you?

VBr

Jempie

post-9797-1145715136.jpg

No idea if of ineterst to you?

VBr

Jempie

Photo n°3

Notice all British POWS!

At least two such photos are available on POW camp Gottingen too!

VBR

Jempie

post-9797-1145715421.jpg

Hi All

Doeberitz was a large camp 8 miles from Berlin in which prisoners of the Naval Division captured at Antwerp in 1914 were imprisoned. It was described as the Aldershot of Berlin and was close to an important military training centre. There was a Y.M.C.A hut on the camp. cheers Roy

Photo n°3

Notice all British POWS!

At least two such photos are available on POW camp Gottingen too!

VBR

Jempie

Thank you very much for the photos - which are certainly of great interest.

• 2 years later...

My grandfather signed up for the RNVR when war broke out and was assigned to the Hawke Brigade. In the Autumn of 1914 he was sent to Belgiam (Antwerp?) and soon captured by the Germans. I undestand that he was made to walk to one prison camp and then made to walk Doberitz when spent the rest of the war. I to have a similar photo of prisoners dressed in naval and army uniforms. In particular there is a large person with a big beard and I'm told he was Russian a camp cook. Have share information with you and any other information you may have on Doberitz.

David Randall Thomas :)

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am a newbie so please forgive me if I mess this up! :rolleyes:

I am researching my GGFather, Michael Gallagher (service no. 7596) who was born in Birr, Co Offaly. He enlisted with the 3/South Lancs (I think) in 1904 and was sent to France as part of the first wave in August 1914. He was captured in Ciply on 23 August 1914 and spent the whole of the war in POW camps. I have gathered some of this info from the NA and the ICRC including his service record and medal card. The ICRC have advised he was a "POW in German hands, present in the camp of Doberitz (list undated)" and "present in the camp of Giessen coming from the camp of Limburg (according to a list dated 8.5.1917)".

I was wondering if anyone has other info on my GGF or any details on when he was in the various POW camps. I have absolutely no other information about him as his children, including my Grandmother have either died or emigrated to the US and have no contact with the rest of the family.

I hope this wasn't too long winded and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Many thanks, Susan

P.S. A huge thanks to those who have posted so much good info on this site, I have spent heaps of time researching and reading and just enjoying.

• 1 month later...

• 9 months later...
My grandfather signed up for the RNVR when war broke out and was assigned to the Hawke Brigade. In the Autumn of 1914 he was sent to Belgiam (Antwerp?) and soon captured by the Germans. I undestand that he was made to walk to one prison camp and then made to walk Doberitz when spent the rest of the war. I to have a similar photo of prisoners dressed in naval and army uniforms. In particular there is a large person with a big beard and I'm told he was Russian a camp cook. Have share information with you and any other information you may have on Doberitz.

David Randall Thomas :)

My Grandfather , Joseph Walter Smeeth, RNVR , was also imprisoned at Doberitz , and similarly was in Hawke Brigade . He was from the East End of London . Unfortunately the only photos of him I have ,are from his marriage in 1919 onwards.I would very much appreciate any photos anyone might have of "life" in the P.O.W. camp , especially the Naval prisoners .

Thanks to all, what an excellent site !

Lesley Kirby

This may be of interest, I assume that it is a Royal Naval Division commemoratiove badge.

Tony

post-1946-1248453051.jpg

Thanks, Tonym ... :) how fast was that !!

I have a New Testament given to my Grandad, ,inscribed "Presented to J.W.Smeeth, R.N.V.R. London , whilst a prisoner of War at Doeberitz, Germany ..Jan3rd 1915." He'd been there since (officially reported as) 4th December 1914 ,after operations around Antwerp, and was there until repatriation to leave in January of 1919.On the alphabetical Medal Roll, it says he was given V +B+S ,

Would that have been Star, Victory, and one other.(B)..? I'm a very Newbie...! All help gratefully received !!

I would suggest that :-

V = Victory B=British War Medal S=14-15 Star.

If I am wrong someone will come along and correct me

Tony

• 1 year later...

This may be of interest, I assume that it is a Royal Naval Division commemoratiove badge.

Tony

post-1946-1248453051.jpg

Tony is this one marked silber 890 , as i have one that is marked Silber890. I am curious when they was made,would harldy think the prisoners would hang around after release to have a badge made.

Dan

• 2 years later...

Anyone know whereabouts of this camp is it still standing?

• 3 months later...

I thought I should share this photo of Doberitz POWs I obtained recently as a postcard on eBay. My great uncle Cecil Arthur Tooke is seated on the far right in the third row back. He was a member of the RND captured at Antwerp and spent the rest of the war in Doberitz. He was a commercial artist before the war and he designed various greetings postcards that were sent by prisoners at Doberitz back to the UK. He also designed the coat of arms on the commemorative badge. At the end of the war he was one of a small number of prisoners awarded the medal of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire 'for valuable services whilst prisoners of war in Germany in promoting the welfare of their comrades'.

post-100679-0-20869300-1381183657_thumb.

I like the message they tried to write on the sign

wouldn't it be nice to have all their names on it!

• 5 months later...

I have a Victor George Blincoe Private, 8434, 5820466, 70407, 2nd Bn. Suffolks who may have been captured at Le Cateau in August 1914.. Anybody have a list of those held at Doberitz?

Victor served after 1920 and was with the Suffolks for the 1921-22 malabar campaign in India so I know that the DOD may have something on him, but thought I would just ask before contacting them and taking the longer and more expensive route :)

PS looked at the great photos on this page but couldn't identify him from this photo.

post-95457-0-08490400-1394492348_thumb.j

The best place to try is the Suffolk Regimental Museum - they certainly have some details of men at Doberitz.

See post 11 here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204267&hl=

or contacting Taff / Chief Chum directly (I hope he doesn't mind the presumption!)

I'm in the middle of another bash of my head against the Doberitz brick wall for my own 2nd Suffolk - the service records of these men appear few and far between, but most seem to have gone to Doberitz or Sennelager.

The ICRC records are due to open online again in August 2014, but what they may contain and the cost of such, I am also awaiting to discover with baited breath!

Steve.

Thanks for the leads Steve. He wasn't in the Times list but as you pointed out not comprehensive.

Will give the Museum a try.

Roger

Superb photos

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A an old copy of Tthe Link is for sale on eBay.

The Link, a POW magazine produced at this POW camp.

Just download the .pdf from the page above to read the whole thing.