Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Green Howards.

Bob Coulson

Trying to research this tragedy which befell the battalion just after midnight on January 5th 1918.

I have identified the 18 Green Howards officers and or's who lost their life and the brigade chaplain involved but according to the history one officer from the KSLI and one from the RE also lost their lives, would really appreciate any help in identifying these two men or indeed any info on the incident or the tunnels would be gratefully recieved.

Soldiers died for this date doesn't throw up any likely candidates.

Bob.

Hi Bob

The 6th K.S.L.I. were in the 20th Div., its War Diary makes no mention of losing any Officers or O.R.'s on or around the 5th, they went into Swan Camp (I.29.c. central) on the 5th.

The Div. History only records that great precautions were taken, and nobody was allowed even to strike a match. These orders were the outcome of the disastrous fire which had occurred in Hedge Street Tunnels the night before the 61st Brigade went into the line, when several officers and men were burnt to death, including some of the advanced party of the 61st.

I will look to see if any of the other K.S.L.I. battalions were in the area and let you know.

Annette

Annette,

My info is that the GH's were due to be relieved by the 20th div when the tragedy occurred but they were a day late.

Wonder if it was a 6th KSLI man who had gone on ahead to be briefed and handed over the area.?

Bob.

Bob

I never said that the 6th K.S.L.I. were in the 60th Brigade.

I have looked at every thing that I have on K.S.L.I., including War Diary, a CD of all K.S.L.I. on C.W.G.C. database, SD, and turned up nothing. I am just wondering if K.S.L.I. as been mixed up with one of the 61st Brigade battalions like the 7th K.O.Y.L.I. or the 7th Som.L.I. ? the Div. History records that some of the advanced party of the 61st, were burnt to death ?

Annette

Annette,

I think you have solved this.

There is a 2nd Lt of the 7th DCLI died 05/01/18 and they were 61st brigade so I think this is him, not a KSLI man.

Now I only need to find the RE officer.

Many thanks for your help and if you come up with anything else please let me know.

Bob.