Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Esmeford Lennox DSO MVO

Jim Kane

Any information on Colonel Esmeford Lennox whom I believe commanded 95th Infantry Brigade Scots Guards would be appreciated. I am not sure if I have his correctly as his hand writing is unclear. Were the Scots Guards at vimy Ridge?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

If I am reading the Scots Guards information on the mother site correctly, they were not at Vimy Ridge in April of 1917.

Take care,

Neil

The line up at Arras 9th April 1917 was, left to right from north end of Vimy Ridge opposite The Pimple , 24th Division , 4th Canadian , 3rd Canadian, 2nd Canadian 1st Canadian, 51st HD, 34th, 9th, (in Arras itself were) 15th & 12th, 3rd, 14th, 5th,30th, 21st. The whole line was moved forward over the next few days . The following day,10th April, the Australians attacked at Bullecourt without proper artillery support and got very badly cut-up.

95th Brigade were in 5th Division but the Scots Guards were never in the Brigade.

Perhaps Colonel Lennox of the Scots Guards, was with 95th Brigade HQ??

Aye

Malcolm

Jim

I think the man you are referring to is Brigadier-General Lord Esme Gordon-Lennox MVO DSO CMG.

Born in 1875, he was the 2nd son of of the 7th Duke of Richmond. Commissioned into the Scots Guards in 1896, he served in the Boer War and Southern Nigeria- 1902. MVO 1907. Wounded, Ypres 1914. GOC 95th Infantry Brigade from 1916. Severely wounded, 14 April 1918 when the Brigade HQ near Bois Noyen was hit by a shell. CMG 1919.

1926-1946, Yeoman Usher of the Black Rod and Secretary to the Lord Great Chamberlain. Died May 1949.

Terry Reeves

Many thanks for the info. regarding Vimy Ridge and Lord Esme Gordon-Lennox, the enquiry was on behalf of a friend, her Grandfather Sidney Edwards enlisted in the Royal Waricks as a cook. On 17th. Aug. 1919 he was given a glowing reference from what had been his commanding officer Lord Esme Gordon-Lennox, in the reference Lord Esme mentioned his time as commanding officer of 95th Infantry Brigade July 1916-May 1918 we assume Sidney was transfered to the Scots Guards, can anyone offer an explanation as to the likley cause of such a transfer considering his lowly rank.

Jim

I don't think that there is any great mystery here. Originally three of the battalions in 95th Brigade were the 14th, 15th and 16th (Service) Battalions, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment (1st, 2nd and 3rd Birmingham Battalions). Forget the Scots Guards. As a Brigadier- General, Gordon Lennox was a General Staff Officer and in this respect had lost his affiliation with the regiment into which he was commissioned.

I wouldn't mind a little bet that Sidney's skills as a cook led him to be employed at Brigade HQ, on Gordon-Lennox's personal staff. He would not in this case, have changed regiments.

Terry Reeves

Terry

Thank you very much for the information, I know my friend will be absolutely delighted to have the puzzle solved, in the short time I have been using this site I have been amazed at the amount of information available and the members willingness to help, again thank you. :D

I assume that Gordon-Lennox is the same chap mentioned by Kate Caffrey in her brilliant book 'Farewell Leicester Square' i often wondered what became of him.

Arm.

Terry,

I have now seen the reference given to Sydney, you would have won your little bet as he was the brigade cook, the reference spoke about his care for others in adverse conditions and of his honesty and hard work.

Again many thanks to all

Jim