Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Does anyone have any group photo's of the 6th DLI during the period 1910-1914. I would be especially keen to see photo's of the sergeants of the 6th form the period of 1914-15. I've got a copy of Harry Moses's book on the battalion, but was wondering what other photo's are out there.

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

Stewart

Have you tried looking at the DLI archives on line which are held by the Durham County Record Office. Many photographs are listed with names.

My grandfather was a Sgt in the 6th Bn 1908 - 1917. I have one or two photos but not Bn group photos

ATB

Tony

:) Hello Tony,

I've been looking at the on line archive, it's great the way you can view the images. They do not seem to have a named one to the chap I am looking for. His name was John Dia [David] Williams, and he was a Sergeant with B company, I think. I think he was living in Brandon/ Spennymoor area, which I think was the B Company area. he served from 1909-Jan 1916. he lost his leg at 2nd Ypres.

The archive do have a death notice relating to him, from 1936. I e-mailed them about it in Sunday night, but still have not heard from them, expect they are busy. Have you ever ordered items from them ? Is it expensive and how long do they normally take ?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

Yes I've found them very quick -one request was delivered within 36 hours. They are not cheap - preferring to send a CD of the record rather than a photocopy. I've found it works better to ring initially.

Have you found him on the 1901 census? (I think) he was living in Brandon, born Croxdale c. 1886 parents from Worcs.

ATB

Tony

:) Hello,

I've seen a transcribed entry for the family taken from the 1901 census, but I've, not as yet seen an image of the page.

I have checked to see if his service papers have survived, but sad to say they've not. There is a bit about him on my website, link below. It mainly deals with his son's service, though.

Do you know when your Grandfather became a Sergeant ? I'm just trying to figure out how quickly Sergeant Williams may have been promoted.

I would love to get a day in the archive, there seems to be a lot of photo's with his son on them- Cpl 1st battalion in China 1938, WO2 15th Bn 1941 and then as the QM in Cypres in 1958. There is also a photo of a group of Buglers, which has a ''Williams'' on it and appears to be from the same period when he was a buglar.

Do you have a rough idea of what they charge per photo on a CD ?

Regards,

Stewart

Hello

As I said - I suggest you give them a ring to find out current charges.

My g- father enlisted 27 May 1908 and was promoted Sgt on 26 Sept 1914.

ATB

Tony