Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

99th and 104th Sqdn. R.A.F.

Walter Kortooms

I’m going Metz and Thionville next weekend. One place that I will visit is Chambieres French National Cemetery in Metz. About 80 of the graves on the C.W.G.C. cemetery are from the Great War.

Among the dead are 10 pilots of the 99th and the 104th Squadron R.A.F., who were killed between 15/09/1918 and 26/09/1918. Three of the pilots were just 18 years old:

- 2nd.Lt. C.E. Bellord (104th Sqdn.)

- 2nd.Lt. C. Bridgett (99th Sqdn.)

- Lt. L.G. Stern (104th Sqdn.)

Where (books etc.) can I find more information about the Squadrons or the pilots (where were they stationed, what happened etc.etc.)?

Walter

If you need a photograph of a grave in the cemetery, just let me know.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Walter,

99 & 104 Squadrons were in the Independent Air Force, a good book covering the operations of the IAFF in September 1918 is 'Bloody April, Black September' by Norman Franks, Russell Guest & Frank Bailey. On the RAF crew you list:

1. 2/Lt L G Stern was KiA on 26 September 1918 flying DH9 number D5573 with 99 Squadron. He was a pilot.

2. 2/Lt C Bridgett was shot down on 13 September 1918 flying in DH9 D3218. He was reported as a POW, so must have died in captivity. He was an Observer also with 99 Squadron.

Cheers - Ian

Thanks, Ian :)

2/Lt. C. Bridgett is not mentioned in "List of British Officers taken prisoner in etc. etc." so he must have died (of his wounds) pretty soon after becoming a POW.

Cheers - Walter

The latest book on the IF RAF is Keith Rennles' 'Independent Force', which lists every offensive operation by the four daylight bombing squadrons, ie Nos 55, 99, 104 and 110, including the crews in each aeroplane. It's a very good piece of research.

Walter

I missed your original posting, but if you are in the Metz area again, here is some information regarding another member of 99th Squadron R.A.F. who died of his wounds two months after his involvement in operations there on 26th September 1918:

Lieutenant (Temporary Captain) Patrick Eliot Welchman M.C., D.F.C. (1895-1918)

Patrick Welchman lived in Lichfield and was educated at the King’s School in Canterbury. His father was a Surgeon and was Mayor of Lichfield between 1906-07. Patrick Welchman worked at Lloyds Bank in Lichfield and joined 2nd North Midland Field Company in March 1913. Welchman was mobilised with the Company in August 1914 and went with 1/2nd North Midland Field Company to France on 1st March 1915. He was later awarded the Military Cross for his bravery during 46th (North Midland) Division's assault on the Hohenzollern Redoubt on 14th October 1915. He took over command of 1/2nd North Midland Field Company in December 1915 when Major Hatton was wounded. In early 1916, Welchman left the Company and joined the Royal Flying Corps, serving as an Observer with 8th Squadron. He was awarded a Regular Army commission in the King’s Own Scottish Borderers in the same year. While out on a photographic reconnaissance flight over Bapaume on 26th September 1916, he was wounded by a shell splinter and was evacuated to England. After recovering from his wound, he was injured again on 4th June 1917 in a flying accident at Northolt. Patrick Welchman joined 99th Squadron of the Independent Force of the Royal Air Force in April 1918. He served initially as a flight commander and commanded the Squadron from September 1918, the same month in which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was shot down and captured while carrying out a bombing raid over Metz on 26th September 1918, during which he was again wounded. He died of his injuries at 42nd Stationary Hospital on 29th November 1918 and is buried at Charmes Military Cemetery, Plot I, Row D, Grave 3. Patrick Welchman was also Mentioned in Despatches twice during the war.

Thanks for the information, Andrew

According to “List of British Officers taken prisoner …” Capt. P.E. Welchman went missing on 26/9/18 and was repatriated 28/11/18. Next day he died…

The visit to Chambieres French National Cemetery, Metz was very interesting. The cemetery has graves and monuments from the War of 1870/71, the First World War (French, German and C.W.G.C.) and some WO II graves.

I ended my trip with a visit to Fort de Guetrange (Feste Ober-Gentringen) near Thionville. The Fort was built by the Germans between 1899 and 1916. Again, very interesting. :D

Walter

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dolphin,

The Rennels book has attracted a lot of criticism. A gentleman of my acquaintance at the PRO was, a few months ago, researching a detailed critique of this work. I will post a reference when I can find my notes.

Cheers - Ian