Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Order 11 of 10/08/17

SteveE

I'm familiar with the causes of discharge under Para.392 of King's Regulations but I've recently filmed some SWB Rolls at the NA where the Cause of Discharge is quoted with a seemingly different set of regulations.

I have instances where it quotes "Army Order 11 of 10.8.17 Para 2 (a) (i) (b.)" and also "Para 2 (d)".

Can anybody please explain what these two Causes of Discharge are?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Definitely states Army Order 11 of 10.8.17. If, as you suggest, the number should be higher then I need to ask are there any August '17 AO's that relate to Soldiers Discharged etc, assuming the date is correct.

strange. AO 239 issued in August 1917! By September, 25 more.

I do not have a complete run, and cannot find anything in my partial collection for you.

Did a search of previous threads and found someone asking a very similar question.

Transpires that it is actually "Army Order 265 II Silver War Badge (Published on 10 Aug)" that refers, which follows what you were saying about numbering.

In which case I now need to ask can anybody tell me what "Para 2 (a) (i) (b.)" and "Para 2 (d)" of Army Order 265 II mean.

Regards

Steve

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that someone has the answers......

Bringing this back to the top one last time.....

• 4 years later...
Bringing this back to the top one last time.....

I have just come across the same code in my research. Did you find out what it meant?

Also is the date the date that order came into force or is it the date the men where discharged?

Regards Jean

Jean

I did.

It transpires that A.O.11 of 1917 (published on 22nd December 1916) dealt with Distinctions in Dress-Chaplains Department which isn't what was intended.

What was actually being referred to was Army Order 265 II Silver War Badge (Published on 10 August 1917) and I believe the II was being misquoted as 11 on the forms. The 10th August 1917 date was the date of that particular Army Order being published and not the date of the men being discharged.

What details do you have? because to have that reason for discharge I would assume you also have the man's discharge date and a probable reason. There should be a further code 2 (b.) for example after the A.O.11 business and possibly a W or S to denote Wounds or Sickness.

Regards

Steve

To add as "eg" A.O.11 of 1917 (published on 22nd December 1916).

Then, Army Order 265 II Silver War Badge (Published on Sept 1917)

Army Order 265 II Silver War Badge (Published on Sept 1917)

post-7206-1273855690.jpg

post-7206-1273855752.jpg

Army Order 265 II Silver War Badge (Published on Sept 1917)

Cheers Roy, interesting, now if it was published in September 1917 what does the 10th August date refer to?

Steve

Cheers Roy, interesting, now if it was published in September 1917 what does the 10th August date refer to?

Steve

Steve,

If you look at AO 264 immediately before it, you'll see the Order is "signed" 6th Aug 1917 but it is included in the Sep 1917 section.

I assume there was often a discrepancy between the published date and when it was actually promulgated with the latter being used in the collected AO volumes.

I expect there's a bit more of AO 265 II on the next page including similar signature content dated 10 Aug 1917, but Roy did not post it as it wasn't that pertinent to this Topic on reasons for discharge.

Cheers,

Mark

All Army Orders numbered 264 through to 268 were infact published in August 1917 as stated on page 3 of those Orders for September 1917;-

10th August 1917

A.O. 264 - Royal Warrant - I -Pay & Allowances of Officers & Men of the Cavalry.

A.O. 265 - II - Silver War Badge(which was subsequently cancelled A.O. 16/9/18).

14th August 1917

A.O. 266 - III - Rules of Procedure - Provisional Amendments.

A.O. 267 - IV - Presentation of Medals awarded for Gallant Conduct or Meritorious Service.

18th August 1917

A.O. 268 - V - Royal Warrant - for the Retired Pay of Officers disabled & for the Pensions of Families & relatives of Officers deceased, & for the Pensions of Nuses disabled in consequence of the present war.

Mark/Graham

Thanks for the clarification, all is now clear.

Steve

• 10 years later...

I hadn't come across this Army Order before as a cause of discharge. Reading about it on LLT I gather that AO2(a) was for officers of military age and AO2(b) was for soldiers of military age: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/demobilisation-and-discharge/soldier-discharged-o-2b-10-8-1917/

What, therefore, should I make of these entries in the SWB roll, all of whom are soldiers but were apparently discharged under AO2(a)?

wo329_3075-00077.jpg.ca175318e3713e22adb9dc3196177716.jpg

15 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

What, therefore, should I make of these entries in the SWB roll, all of whom are soldiers but were apparently discharged under AO2(a)?

I've seen it before and it seemed to be nothing more than a clerical error.

Craig