Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanks in Palestine

peter_suciu

• 8 months later...
Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

On another thread I posted the following pic of Generals Isser, Kress and Djamal posing underneath a tank knocked out during Second Gaza. This appears to be one of those nice propaganda photo opportunities that present themselves and they took full advantage of it.

Here is the pic.

post-7100-1168042522.jpg

Earlier on in this thread, Gerald Moore posted a pic of HMLS Nutty. I have pasted this below.

post-7100-1168042497.jpg

I suspect that both tanks are one in the same.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill

I do have a small doubt, because the sponson in the Turkish photo has collapsed over the machine gun embrasure, but in the later photo the right hand sponson is more or less intact. I think he tank is this one, with a trench underneath it, and in the propaganda photo later damage. What I don't know is the name of this tank.

Gareth

post-890-1168079856.jpg

Guest Bill Woerlee

Gareth

G'day mate

Thanks for that mate. No doubt about it - exactly the same tank.

Three tanks were destroyed during the 2nd Battle of Gaza: Sir Archibald (male), Nutty (female) and War Baby (female).

This information we do know due to the lack of trench work by the wreck:

1. It is not War Baby

2. It is not Sir Archibald

By process of elimination, it could only be HMLS Nutty. The latter pic seems to have been taken on the obverse side of the tank when the trench had caved in and the tank went nose down.

Just some thoughts on this one.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill

I have had another look at the two pictures and realise that your 2nd is taken from the other side, the left hand side of the tank. Having said that, in your picture of the three Turks the left hand front wheel arrangement has been smashed and bent into the centre of the vehicle. In the later picture taken from the left hand side, the front tensioning wheel appears to be intact, any chance of a close up of that front left hand horn in your second photo.

Gareth

Guest Bill Woerlee

Gareth

G'day mate

Looks like we almost posted together and came to the same conclusions.

As for pix, sadly all we have is all that is displayed.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

I have got out my biggest magnifying glass and had another look. There are two small light patches just by the horses leg that is on the left hand edge of the picture. These could be the sand showing through two gaps between the spokes on the front wheel.

In the 2nd pic' the tensioning device appears to be intact, which is behind that wheel, and I think it is undamaged in the 3 Turks photo. This is going to need access to paper prints to be certain, but I am coming around to the conclusion it is the same tank after all. It all hinges on the state of that left hand horn.

Gareth