Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Hooge to India

jemcareessex

My Gt Grandfather was Gunner Joseph William Scott Reg No 9807 Corps 459th Howitzer Battery Royal Field Artillery. I know he served in Hooge in 1915 as he was awarded the DCM on the 8th August. His records were destroyed in WW2 so where he went from there I can not trace. He did survive the war.

But before he was discharged he ended up in Bombay, India working with the police. Can anyone help with any info on why this could have happened. Any info on his corps would be most welcome.

My Gt Grandfather was Gunner Joseph William Scott Reg No 9807 Corps 459th Howitzer Battery Royal Field Artillery. I know he served in Hooge in 1915 as he was awarded the DCM on the 8th August. His records were destroyed in WW2 so where he went from there I can not trace. He did survive the war.

But before he was discharged he ended up in Bombay, India working with the police. Can anyone help with any info on why this could have happened. Any info on his corps would be most welcome.

I presume you have copies of his medal index cards? His DCM card is here and his service medal card is here. The latter shows that he was promoted to corporal.

Forum member Dick Flory is probably your best bet for information on the 459th Howitzer Battery.

Thank you so much Paul, I have never been able to find anything about him in 20 years of research, I have dowloaded the medal info. Brilliant. I have not been researching on line for long, never knew we could access these records on line.

I will contact that other chap, thanks again.

I presume you have copies of his medal index cards? His DCM card is here and his service medal card is here. The latter shows that he was promoted to corporal.

Forum member Dick Flory is probably your best bet for information on the 459th Howitzer Battery.

I have being trying to locate Dick Flory, but unable to, how can I contact him?

I have being trying to locate Dick Flory, but unable to, how can I contact him?

Click on the Members button (top right). Enter rflory in the search box and then hit search. That will give you his details and you can then send him a personal message or e-mail. Alternatively just go to the search section of the website and run a search on artillery and filter by name. You'll find lots of useful info there. Good luck.

Paul