Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on 4 Motor Ambulance Company

Guest Barbara Woodhouse

Guest Barbara Woodhouse

Can anyone supply info on the work of the 4 Motor Ambulance Company(Army Service Corps. Motor transport).

Amresearching family member Private William Henry Fallowfield died 29th May 1917 aged 22 years. Buried at St John's Church Yealand (was in Westmoreland - now Cumbria). Memorial stone erected by his comrades.

Thanks. Barbara Woodhouse.

Welcome to the Forum Barbara

Unfortunately my Corps history is in the office. I will have a look on Monday and let you know what it says

Stephen

Havign said that, some-one is liekly to beat me to it! :D

No 4 Motor Ambulance Convoy (aka 421 Coy ASC) was formed on 4 August 1914 and eventually came under command 5th Army; it was disbanded on 27 May 1919. Little other info but examples of brave conducct, recorded by Mike Young in his history of the ASC include:

in 1915, a Distinguished Comduct Medal was awarded to Pte Hook for manually carrying a casualty from Hooge, where the car was buried in a shell hole, to Ypres.

In July 1917, whilst evacuating casualties from Sancutary Wood towards Poperinge (moving up to 1000 cases per night), one vehicle lost its wheel; the driver drove it on its brake drum to the Menin Road, before fitting a spare wheel and driving to safety.

Guest Barbara Woodhouse
Welcome to the Forum Barbara

Unfortunately my Corps history is in the office. I will have a look on Monday and let you know what it says

Stephen

Havign said that, some-one is liekly to beat me to it! :D

Guest Barbara Woodhouse

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my request for informationabout No 4 motor ambulance company. The book that you mention sounds interesting, I'll try to get hold of a copy. I have been trying to make sense of the chronology of the action to attempt to work out where that particular ambulance company may have been in the spring of 1917. I think they may have been around Bullecourt (2nd Battle of Arras) but may be barking up the wrong tree. Ageing family members remember my great uncle being pensioned off wounded and some say he had his leg amputated. I assume he died as a consequence of complications relating to his injures. If you find any more information I would be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks again. Barbara Woodhouse.

I think they may have been around Bullecourt (2nd Battle of Arras)

If they were in support of 5th Army, the link to Bullecourt would make sense but the only way to be sure is to check the war diary; I will see if the war diary is held at Kew

Stephen

Guest Barbara Woodhouse

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your help. I've found the grave in the churchyard in Yealand Conyers. It's a beautiful country churchyard. There is a Canadian Soldiers's grave there too which makes me wonder how he ended up there!! The more you look the more there is to learn. All this research and the forum is new to

me but we've always been interested in the First World War.Have been to The Somme, Thiepval, Arras, Beaumont Hamell, Albert, Le Cateau,Cambrai etc.

Look forward to hearng from you about Kew records. thanks again, Barbara. :unsure: