Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7TH Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers 1914-1915

Rodge Dowson

If anyone has any photographs relating to members of the 1/7th Terr. Bn. (Salford ) Lancashire Fusiliers, who fought at Gallipoli in 1915 that they would be willing to see in print, would they please get in touch. This battalion is one Neil Drum and myself have been researching for a new book project.

Our latest title 'God's Own -1st Salford Pals' is now completed and will be published early in January 2003. We are working on various other titles but have nearly completed the text for 'All Hell Let Loose-Gallipoli 1915' and so we need to identify any other further photos/material to include. Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

The blokes who won six VCs were 1st Battalion. There were several LF battalions involved at Gallipoli. See 'Hell's Foundations' by Geoffrey Moorhouse.

Are these the chaps who won six VCs before breakfast?  If you could give me any more detail about them I would be delighted.

Paul

Paul,

A good place for you to start will be Stephen Snelling's book

"V.C.s of the First World War - Gallipoli" published in 1995 by Allan Sutton Publishing Ltd. His 20 page chapter 'VCs of W Beach' covers what you want

Regards

Michael D. R.

I always laugh when I hear the phrase "six VCs before breakfast". A little further delving into the archives substantiates the fact that the Unit were given a very early breakfast in the early hours before landing on the peninsula.

Their heroism is not in doubt, only the provisioning arrangements

It all happened well before my breakfast time, however!

I always laugh when I hear the phrase "six VCs before breakfast".

Martin,

I bet the culprit was a newspaper headline writer,

one who was keen on Lewis Carol's "Through the Looking-Glass"

where the Queen says to Alice "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as

six impossible things before breakfast."

Not impossible, but as close to it as flesh and blood could get.

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Each time I hear the phrase about this battalion, and I have been to Lancashire Landing, six VCs before breakfast, I think , then they were having one hell of a bad day!

Michael

Given the enduring popularity of 'Alice', and the way many of its phrases are imprinted in the memory, I can go along with your theory.