Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

December 1918 election

doogal

Hi

As the election of 1918 was in December, does anyone know what months/when the Absent voters' lists were compiled - If it goes back into the war, this would be useful for searching for infor on those KIA - but just how far back is the crux of the question.

regards

doogal

There are some from my area who are on the list and who were lived in action, it is useful for finding address of men killed in 1918, but I have no idea what dates are involved.

Tony.

Doogal

The Representation of the People Act, 1918, received its Royal assent on 6th February 1918. There were some major changes to the electoral system announced in this Act, including voting rights for women. Given that postal and proxy voting for servicemen serving overseas was introduced for the first time in 1918, it may well be that it is referred to in the Act. There is a copy at the National Archive.

The timetable for the election was as follows:

November 14th 1918 - Election announced

November 25th - Parliament dissolved

Polling Day - December 14th

Terry Reeves

Doogal,

The Darlington AVL was compiled by the 1st October 1918, but there was more than one volume, as I believe they were being updated as late as 1920. Gatehead certainly have a run of volumes which go as late as that. From the one's I've seen in this area, the earlier ones were also used for hand written amendments alongside the Absent Voter, obviously for future reference.

Graham.

Hi

Thanks to everyone - this saves me a fruitless search, as I was looking at a soldier KIA in March 1918.

regards

doogal