Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who would be most interested in a personal diary

steve fuller

Hi Pals

I have been contacted by someone who has a personal diary from someone who lived in Bedford at the time the 4th, 5th & 6th Camerons were there.

It has lists of men from the Btns & hand written notes as to their fates, arty work, scraps of regimental colours, poems, memoirs, etc etc. Sounds like a beautiful piece of history & the gent woudl like to know who would benefit the most by having the piece?

Im thinking, the IWM, Cameron museum or Bedford CRO, but are there any obvious options I have missed?

Any suggestions Pals? Would be good to see this in the right place for future generations to benefit from ...

Steve

Hi Pals

I have been contacted by someone who has a personal diary from someone who lived in Bedford at the time the 4th, 5th & 6th Camerons were there.

It has lists of men from the Btns & hand written notes as to their fates, arty work, scraps of regimental colours, poems, memoirs, etc etc. Sounds like a beautiful piece of history & the gent woudl like to know who would benefit the most by having the piece?

Im thinking, the IWM, Cameron museum or Bedford CRO, but are there any obvious options I have missed?

Any suggestions Pals? Would be good to see this in the right place for future generations to benefit from ...

Steve

The Lanarkshire Family History society have been transcribing the war diaries for the Cameronians and these are in the Cameronian Museum in Hamilton.One of my ancestors was in the Cameronian, and I have been to see the diary of the day he was killed, All it said was , " one other rank killed today".

''Im thinking, the IWM, Cameron museum or Bedford CRO, but are there any obvious options I have missed?''

:) Hello,

Just a quick one, which you probably already know, but the Cameronians and the Camerons are two different regiments. One is Highland [Cameron Highlanders] the other is a Lowland Regiment.

One place that would be ideal for this item would be the Scottish War Museum It's in Edinburgh Castle. They have a public access library [by appointment]. It's the next best thing to a Regimental Museum, they have all sorts of items there.

I was a the Cameroinian's museum a couple of years ago. It was one I had not been to before and had heard that it had been refurbished. I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed by it, it's now more of a local history museum, with just a few display cases on this famous regiment. It just did not do the regiment justice.

Regards,

Stewart

ps Your friend could scan the diary and set it up as an on line archive, that way everyone could see it.

''Im thinking, the IWM, Cameron museum or Bedford CRO, but are there any obvious options I have missed?''

:) Hello,

Just a quick one, which you probably already know, but the Cameronians and the Camerons are two different regiments. One is Highland [Cameron Highlanders] the other is a Lowland Regiment.

One place that would be ideal for this item would be the Scottish War Museum It's in Edinburgh Castle. They have a public access library [by appointment]. It's the next best thing to a Regimental Museum, they have all sorts of items there.

I was a the Cameroinian's museum a couple of years ago. It was one I had not been to before and had heard that it had been refurbished. I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed by it, it's now more of a local history museum, with just a few display cases on this famous regiment. It just did not do the regiment justice.

Regards,

Stewart

ps Your friend could scan the diary and set it up as an on line archive, that way everyone could see it.

I agree with you about the Cameronian ( scottish Rifles) museum. When I went to the original one a few years ago , it had very interesting displays, there seemed to be an atmosphere about the place and I really enjoyed visiting it,.Now it is just a display in a modern museum, very clean and clinical.

Who would benefit the most? Can I be cheeky and say me?

Lanarkshire Family History Society have indeed been transcribing the war diaries, and this would of interest to them. We would be willing to scan the diary and forward the original onto the Cameronian Museum.

If this is something you're interested in doing, send me a PM.

Cheers,

David

Thanks everyone. I will forward the suggestions and see what the gent would prefer. I must say that i like the idea of scans being made available on line though.

Personally, Im interested in making the info available, but its not for me to say really!! :ph34r:

Any other avenues, keep them coming!! Cheers :D

Sorry, was rushing when I posted! To clarify, they are the highlanders ... :rolleyes:

Steve, I would like a look at the arty work you mention. Any chance of a digital image, photocopy or the like?

Also are you coming to our WFA meeting next Thursday, 9th March, when Len Sellers will conduct a courtroom drama around the case of Lt Dyett RND?