Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regular Reserve & Territorials

Sue Light

There may be an obvious answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it. Immediatley pre-war, were the men then serving on the regular army reserve paid for this commitment after leaving the Army? Also, between 1908 and 1914, did the Territorials receive any pay or bounty for their service?

Thanks - Sue

Very sorry LB - I've sent myself to stand outside the Headmaster's door for not paying enough attention! But I think it was speedreading that was the culprit - for the past few days I've had this question in my mind, and sort of knew I'd come across it somewhere before.........

Very many thanks - I will read LB's articles more thoroughly..I will read LB's articles more thoroughly.. I will read LB's artic.............

Regards - Sue

Sue: beg your pardon, I did come over a bit terse. Just got shot of grandchildren after an, shall we say, interesting weekend.

The fact that the article is a bit compact is due to the perfectly understandable editorial decision to make a two-parter a one parter. A biggish pill to swallow. Personally, once I have written something and it is published it is excruciating to have to read it again.

I will be more civil, I will be more civil, I will be more ............

As a follow on from this thread, I've had an email off-list from a new forum member who had one or two questions. Firstly they asked what was 'Stand To!', and if they rightly assumed that it might be something to do with the Western Front Association, then was there some sort of obligation for them to join the WFA? In fact the person who e-mailed stated that they felt themselves 'an idiot' for not having been in a position to read it. More importantly they pointed out that the answer to the question has still not been divulged.

Well, the full answer to the final point is rather too complicated to repeat here, but to cut it as short as I dare:

Regular Reserve - YES

Territorials - YES and NO

[at least I can't be accused of plagiarism!]

As someone who has [off list at least, in the PRO coffee club] accused the Forum of sometimes exhibiting just a little bit of elitist behaviour - perhaps this is a fair example of those 'in the know' assuming, erroneously, that those not 'in the know' are 'in the know' as well. <_<

Regards - Sue

Sorry to be considered elitist ..... I had thought, in my ignorance, that all Pals would be in WFA. Just goes to show.

Oh, and one more thing: a Bounty was payable to efficient TF soldiers, but only late in the period concerned. AO 146 of 1914, May, refers to "the new bounty" as if it were recent, and says it is £1 per annum.. So I suppose the answer in full is:

YES, YES, No and Yes.

LB,

just as a comment on "I had thought, in my ignorance, that all Pals would be in WFA", over a period of 6 months, I have sent 3 emails to the Australian contact and not even had either a bounced email or a reply. I had come to the conclusion that perhaps the WFA was defunct in Australia. :( (RIP ?)

Peter

Neil,

Thanks very much for that. The WFA web page has Lt-Col Paul Simadas, H420 Moore Park Gardens , 780 Bourke Street, Redfern, NSW, as the contact.

Also the web page link for the Aussie site now gives a 404 message

Peter

Paul Guthrie has kindly supplied the following email contact via the WFA site.

PaulBennettpasu@optushome.com.au

Good luck.

Neil

Hi Neil,

is the email address

PaulBennettpasu@optushome.com.au
correct as it has bounced? See message
The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <PaulBennettpasu@optushome.com.au>

(reason: 553 5.3.0 <PaulBennettpasu@optushome.com.au>... No such user)

Peter ;)