Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Townshend and Kut

withcall

Townshend was not the commanding general in Mesopotamia. His senior officer was General Nixon and both were Indian Army. Townshend was not keen on advancing from Kut on Baghdad but the idea was born in the mind of Nixon and approved by India and by the British Cabinet. Townshend's advance to Ctesiphon was typical of his speedy generalship. At Ctesiphon both he and Nixon who was always up in the front of advances were met by fresh Turkish troops switched from the surrender of Gallipoli. Both Townshend and Nixon fought in the front line but next day the force started the retreat to Kut which in itself was a remarkable feat of skilful generalship as was the conduct of the siege. Townshend was not only a good tactical general, he had more care for his troops than most in high command and this was appreciated by his men who referred to him as 'Our Charlie'.

I am not enamoured of his conduct in captivity, he was a Turcophile and believed Turkey had been seduced into the war by Germany but his captivity was not very different from that of his senior generals who were billeted in a hotel. The Turkish attitude to the rank and file was characteristic of the way they treated their own soldiers who often had to fend for themselves despite being in the army. This attitude to common soldiers resulted in the scandal of the 'March from Kut' which for many British and Indian soldiers resulted in death.

As a man Townshend was overly ambitious, self important and not popular with his contemporaries but this cannot take away from his military and command capabilities . He was no more unpleasant than many other senior military men either then or now. He was unfortunate enough to be pilloried by the press after the war, being blamed for the surrender of Kut but the real culprit (if that is the word), Nixon, was dead and seemingly forgotten. Amongst the press by the way was a gentleman called Murdoch (father of the same).

If you want the whole story, read my book 'Battles on the Tigris.' Ron Wilcox. published by Pen and Sword (2006).

Ron

Ron

Nice piece, and I actually have your book, purchased earlier this year.

Fine point about Townsend, if compared to contemporaries.

You may be interested in one of my medal groups, recently acquired. Col Davie DSO. He was on Townsends personal staff, and received the DSO for the Defence. Have another DSO group, to Deane, ended up KCIE CB DSO, a General, and a Colonel of a Regiment. He is mentioned in Vol IV of the Official History - 12th Cavalry.

As far as medal groups go, and a point that always befuddles me. I have copius groups to the Dorsets, a few to OXBLI, and have never noticed a Norfolks group. I also have a confirmed Hamps POW, who survived, plus a spattering of RFA men, including a DCM MiD man.

Mick

Ron

Nice piece, and I actually have your book, purchased earlier this year.

Fine point about Townsend, if compared to contemporaries.

You may be interested in one of my medal groups, recently acquired. Col Davie DSO. He was on Townsends personal staff, and received the DSO for the Defence. Have another DSO group, to Deane, ended up KCIE CB DSO, a General, and a Colonel of a Regiment. He is mentioned in Vol IV of the Official History - 12th Cavalry.

As far as medal groups go, and a point that always befuddles me. I have copius groups to the Dorsets, a few to OXBLI, and have never noticed a Norfolks group. I also have a confirmed Hamps POW, who survived, plus a spattering of RFA men, including a DCM MiD man.

Mick

Mick

Thanks for your message.

The British contingent in Kut included, apart from the 2nd Norfolks, the 2nd Dorsets, the 1st Oxford and Bucks, the 1/4th Hants, a detachment from the 2nd Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment, some artillery units including the 1/4th Hants Territorial Battery, very few cavalry and odds and sods like serachlight sections and ambulances.

I can't see why the Norfolks missed out on decorations apart from the fact that, like the other units, their rank and file suffered on the march north and in captivity and not all survived the war.

Best wishes

Ron