Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German cemetery Assevent (Belgium)

ak16

Hello,

I am looking for information on the German (with French and British graves) cemetery of Assevent, near Maubeuge in Belgium. It was created by the Germans and still contains its impressive memorial. I have the description from the German War Graves Commission and some small info from battlefield guides.

If I am not mistaken, an article on that was once published in the Bulletin or Stand To. Just had a search through both publications from the last years, but I can not seem to find it. Would this be correct ?

Can anyone help on this matter ?

Thanks !

regards,

Wim Degrande

Flanders

It was created (by the Germans) in 1916 and contains the graves of 365 Germans with another 34 in a mass grave. There are 1,139 French graves with another 487 in the ossuary (also 1 Frenchman from 1939-45), 260 Russians plus about 200 in the ossuary, 7 British, 12 Rumanians and 1 Belgian.

It contains the graves of those who died during the siege of Maubeuge in August 1914 and of POW's 1914-18. In 1923,1928 and 1935 graves from smaller cemeteries in theNord department were concentrated here. In 1961, graves were also moved here from Ypres.

Dave.