Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Belt Buckle Brass and White metal.

Stuart Brown

My understanding is that ORs buckles were all one type of metal - has this mixture of brass and white metal any significant meaning please?

Stamped on the reverse is J R.

Stuart

post-23-1063709327.jpg

Hello Stuart,

I cannot locate any specific references to the buckles and their makeup. I have seen both styles on a regular basis, all brass or those with a secondary metal crown. It is quite possible that with the metal needs during the war that less valuable metals were used in later versions. I cannot vouch that this is the accurate answer, just a best guess at the moment.

Ralph

Stuart.

The Bi-metal buckles were the early (pre-war)type. This style had been worn from at least 1866 (though the earliest types were slightly larger) and continued into WW1. The German Army went to war in 1914 wearing the bi-metal version, but by 1916, the single stamped steel version was the norm. By 1918, cheaper alloys were being used .

By the way, the type you illustrate was worn by Prussian and Baden troops.

Dave.

Just to illustrate size comparison.

The top (Prussian) buckle dates from 1870 and the other (Prussian or Baden) was found at Mametz Wood , thereby dating it (roughly) to 1910/15.

Dave.

post-23-1063674357.jpg

OK, the above picture doesn't show it very well (it's quite obvious when you hold them both!), but the later buckle can actually "fit inside" the 1870 one.

Dave.