Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine L10

Hambo

Thank you Sadsac, the information is really appreciated. I have added a couple of photos sadly due to the sub model being in a sealed glass fronted case there is a lot of background picked up however you can still see it and I will try and find a way to get some better pictures

post-122367-0-44078000-1431607702_thumb.

post-122367-0-08700200-1431607816_thumb.

Hi Tippypop

Thank you for sharing these photos , the Model is fantastic I'm not surprised it has pride of place . Sorry I can not add

any more information on your man .

Colin

Thanks Colin, I will try and get some better photo's of it, it's quite a piece of history. It's nice to be able to share it with people who also find the subject interesting and important.

Guest Maxlyn

Hi there.

Does anyone have further information on MARTIN GLEESON who was a casualty on the L10?

He was on L10 Maidstone from 1 July 1918 until 4 October 1918. I have a copy of his service history and a copy of a letter written by him dated 30 August 1918 in which he referred to "his wife and child".

Martin was the brother of my GreatGrandmother, Elizabeth Gleeson and I would like to track down his descendants, if any.

Thanks

attachicon.gifscan063 (Large).jpg

Hi

I can assist you with some information of Martin Gleeson's descendants as I went to school with one of his great granddaughters in South Africa.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm trying to find out more about my great grandad PULMAN EDWARD J. SIGNALMAN J 10926 (Ch) L 10 04/10/18 SHIP LOSS, that is all the info I have found on him about form reading on here what happend to the HMS L10 . If anyone could help that would be great.

Hello Private. Find here the Submarine Service Record Card of E.J PULMAN ;

PULMAN EDWARD JAMES SIGNALMAN C/J 10926 NE RN 270395 280216

TC 160228 DOLPHIN

L10 180514 PEMBROKE DOCK

L10 180701 MAIDSTONE

DD L10 061018

JOINED FROM TYNE HMS TB30SENIOR IN RATING 010115 SIG

C S EXPIRES 270325 AGE 23

CHATHAM 28 - 5 - 480Killed in action with T.B.D. in North Sea.

Chatham Memorial is open 0830 - 1700.

For entry Telephone Guard Room at Brompton Barracks, 01634 - 822442.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 668. AG 1396 / 18.

P.o.B ; Islington, London. Occ ; Waiter.

Sadsac

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone that has posted on this thread about the men who served in L10.

I have just finished helping edit a book about men with connections to the Market Harborough, Leicestershire, area, one of whom is Harold Lindsay Smith, who lost his life on L10.

As part of the above project, I have been commemorating these Harborough men on the "Lives of the First World War" (LOTFWW) website. Whilst looking for more information on H L Smith I found this thread and got a bit sidetracked as you had all provided such a wealth of excellent and interesting information.

Therefore, I started a new community on LOTFWW for L10, which can be found here - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/3138

I haven't completed much information yet, but just linked as many of the 39 men as I could find.

Would those of you that have shared photos and documents mind if I upload them to LOTFWW to illustrate the relevant men's life stories? If there are any more photos available of the submarine or the men who served in her, I would be most pleased to hear from you.

Thanking you all in advance,

Liz

• 1 month later...

Hi

I can assist you with some information of Martin Gleeson's descendants as I went to school with one of his great granddaughters in South Africa.

Regards

Hi Maxlyn,

My name is Paul Meehan.

I posted this enquiry under the username Buckeye and I live in Otago, New Zealand..

I have only just revisited this site and found your post.

I am very intrigued to learn that Martins descendants have ended up in South Africa.

I came to a brick wall after Martins death.

Here is a link to him on my website;

http://www.meehan.gen.nz/getperson.php?personID=I1726&tree=Meehan

I would love to hear from you,

Best Regards,

Paul Meehan.

paul.meehan@paradise.net.nz

Hello Liz. Only just seen your Post on L.10 / Mkt. Harboro. Have had a quick look at site. Not too sure what you want added. Busy at moment , will `look' later.

Sadsac

• 2 years later...

Hi

I'm new to this forum and wondered if this topic was still live as I am interested in any information about my relative Philip H Charlton, L/Stoker K10429 who lost his life on submarine L10.

Thanks 

C

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2015 at 15:17, sadsac said:

Hello Tippy. Yes please, photo(s) of what you have would be most appreciated.

For request for further info find here details of GGUncle's Submarine Service ;

HUGHES CYRIL JAMES AB LTO P/J 14422 NE RN 021095 101217

TC 171210 DOLPHIN

ADDL 180101 BONAVENTURE

SC 180109 DOLPHIN

ADDL 180409 AMBROSE

L10 180520 PEMBR0KE DOCK VICE ROWLANDS

SICKL10 180701 MAIDSTONE

DD L10 061018

DATE VOL ; 310717JOINED FROM HMS DUBLIN

SENIOR IN RATING 290414 ABAGE 23 PORTSMOUTH 29 - 7 - 538

C S EXPIRES 021025

Son of William and Ellen Hughes, of 74 Oscott Rd., Perry Barr, Birmingham.

Killed in action with T.B.D. in North Sea.HMS MAIDSTONE.

ADM 188 / 675. AG 1396 / 18.

P.o.B ; Pershore, Worcester. Occ ; Vanboy.

Best o Luck in further research.

Sadsac

Eyres family decendant in Australia, Great grandfather Frank Eyres any follow or detail on history of the medal

being worn?

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2015 at 11:14, Guest j2o said:

Hi I'm trying to find out more about my great grandad PULMAN EDWARD J. SIGNALMAN J 10926 (Ch) L 10 04/10/18 SHIP LOSS, that is all the info I have found on him about form reading on here what happend to the HMS L10 . If anyone could help that would be great.

Hi there, my name is Leonard Fox, and Edward James Pulman was my maternal uncle. I have added a new photo of him with his brother George and his sister (my mother) Ida May. I am in touch with the family of Edwards brother George who stil reside in England. My mother married an American Sargent Major and moved to Hollywood California to be married as a war bride. And later they settled to Alberta in Canada where a vast majority of the family still resides. Would love to connect further. 

2F17E87D-66A2-4011-A950-9BACA8421972.jpeg

Hallo Len,

Great photo! Jo hasn't been here for a few years so it may be with sending her a private message - click on the link to her name, and there should be a tab with an envelope on the resulting display.

Good luck!

seaJane

• 3 months later...

seaJane, thank you so much for the suggestion. It appears since Jo signed in as a guest that the email option is not available (as far as I can figure). Do you know if there's any other way to contact them through the site? Or if there's a way to see if they've left any more info anywhere? Thank you again.

Len

No, no idea as far as the forum goes, sorry.

I suppose you could look for Edward Pulman on Ancestry or FindMyPast and see if any family tree poster looks like her. Public libraries often have a subscription that member's of the public can use.

• 11 months later...

It seems the HMS L10 had been found yesterday by the Santi team looking for the Polish submarine 'Orzel' (Eagle). There's a tweet here: https://twitter.com/PiotrMichalik_/status/1235641001827540992?s=19