Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Formerly with...'

nicburch

What would have been the reason for a soldier to be transferred from one regiment to another?

I often come across 'formerly with' etc. Could someone request a transfer or was there a policy to reinforce front line battalions up to strength from other regiments in the locality not directly involved in operations.

Nic

The most common reason was when a man completed his training in UK, he was drafted to the front but often not to the regiment he had trained with. Quite often men were sent to a base depot supplying a btn of the regiment they trained with, but were then dispersed to another btn in the same Corps or Division. A second reason was when a man was wounded and sent to UK, he would be sent back to the front but often to another unit.

The exception was regulars .... pre war, that is, who were not, generally, buggered about like that, and who would have been fiercely resentful of rebadging after illness or wounds unless volunteers were called for, like transfers to the new MGC early in 1916.

The Machine Gun Corps example is a good one, particularly in 1916 when the MG companies were being formed from the gunners of battalions in each brigade.

And another reason... particularly in 1918... was when battalions were disbanded and men were shunted into other units.

I'm not too sure about transfer requests, someone else will know, but when recruitment declined in Ireland the British Army allowed Irish soldiers serving in non-Irish regiments to seek a transfer to Irish units.

Another case would be those who requested a transfer to new units, such as Royal Flying Corps, or when their trade skills might be required by units such as ASC or AOC, special brigade RE, tunnelling companies etc.

My experience of this is based upon medal rolls and SDGW. In the case of the men I am studying it invariably ties in with having spent time at base depot due to illness or wounds before being reposted. In my own cases it is actually back to the same unit as they had been in except it had been renamed.

Roop