Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Martin Moffat VC

Ciaran Byrne

Does anybody have a photograph of Pte. Martin Moffat VC of the Leinster Regiment and also any information as to where he was born. I know he is buried in Sligo but need to know where he was born etc. and if possible his father's name. All will be revealed later on.... ;)

Martin Joseph Moffatt was born 15 April 1882 in Sligo.

Thanks Heritage, that is a great help.

Now for the explanation.

Apparently there is a place in Scotland called "Moffat" and it is named after the Scottish clan Moffat. My sister went there recently and found out that all Moffats are related in some way or another even if the name is slightly misspelled. My mum's maiden name is "Moffatt" which according to them is related to the orignial Moffat (with one "T"). Anyway, they are both Irish and I thought it might be worth checking out to see if there is any relationship somewhere.

If anyone has a photograph that would be great.

I am off to Ireland on Sunday for a week (not just to test the Guiness I hasten to add! :D ) but to do some research on the name and will let you all know if anything turns up. I also plan to visit St. Paticks Cathedrel to photogrpahs (if they let me) the memorial plaque to the 5th Royal Irish Lancers that is kept there.

Watch this space!

Funnily enough my niece got married last saturday to a Colin Moffat!!!

There is a photograph of Martin Moffatt VC in "The Register of the Victoria Cross" published by This England in 1988, but the quality of the photograph is not very good.

Walter

You will find portrait photo's of Martin Joseph Moffat / Moffatt on page 132 of 'VC's of the First World War - The Final Days 1918' by Gerald Gliddon, page 180 of 'Monuments to Courage' by David Harvey and another on page 316 of 'The Victoria Cross' by Creagh & Humphis.

Unfortunately the quality of the photographs in these books isn't very good but Gerald Gliddon's VC book has an excellent three page biography on him.

Alan

Funnily enough my niece got married last saturday to a Colin Moffat!!!

That is interesting...is he of Scottish or Irish extraction?

Ciaran

I don't know the answer to your question - I met him for the first time at the wedding. Ill find out for you when the couple return from honeymoon.

Dave

Blimey, Nothing like getting to know the in-laws!! :D

Seriously though, apparently all the Moffats are related and belong to the Moffat Clan from Scotland. My mother's miaden name is Moffat so somwhere along the line there must be some conntction to Pte. Martin Moffat VC in our line.

• 6 months later...

I have a trio to James Moffatt 17711 of the Inniskillings. I wonder if they are related?

Tom.

I use Chapterone.com (now victoriacross.net)for most of my VC knowledge. Pte Moffat is listed and below (hopefully) should be a link.....

Moffat VC page

It does state that he was Irish, but not from where in Ireland. Alas, no pic here.

Les.

• 4 years later...
Does anybody have a photograph of Pte. Martin Moffat VC of the Leinster Regiment and also any information as to where he was born. I know he is buried in Sligo but need to know where he was born etc. and if possible his father's name. All will be revealed later on.... ;)

Forgive me for asking, but is it correct that Moffatt VC was born on 15 April 1882 ?

Because I've found the following information :

The Register of the Victoria Cross : 15 April 1884

VC's of the First World War - The Final Days : 15 May 1882

www.findagrave.com by Paul Wilson : 15 April 1882

As you can see, three different dates of birth from three seperates sources ! But what is the correct date of birth of Moffatt VC ?