Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Salient Map Grid

pud2006

Can anyone help me with a copy of what I think will be map grid C30 for October 1917 in the Ypres Salient? I'm trying to identify the location of the 221st Siege Battery at the time, which the War Diary gives as C30b 04.95

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

I wish I could help you... But ...

This must be the map St Julien 28 N.W. 2. Correct ?

The co-ordinates you give appear to be a spot a little north east of Verlorenhoek, and more exactlt 350 m west of Square Farm, and the same distance north of Grey Ruin. Correct ?

The problem is that the only two maps I have here with me is : Trenches corrected to 9.9.16 and 13.5.18. So : a year before your date, or half a year after.

Maybe someone else can help you ?

Aurel

Aurel,

Thank you for the prompt response, and for giving me a good idea of the position of the battery.

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the relevant area from your 1918 map?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

This is only square C.30, and resized from what I scanned. (I had to keep below 100 kB for the Forum).

I scanned an area approx. the size of an A4 sheet, both of the 13-5-18 map and the 9-9-16 map (which looks different, with trenches)

Should you be interested I can email both to you. (over 600 and over 900 kB)

Let me know what your email address is, either on Forum, or even better off Forum (PM or email)

Aurel

post-92-1140110543.jpg