Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Gordon Highlanders

danny

Hi all

Is it likely that the only copy of the 4th Battalion's war diary would be located at Kew or does anyone know where else I might look? I have read on the forum of members saying that they have copies of other units' diaries and wondered where they had got hold of them.

Danny

Hi there

Check on the forum called Document Repository, and see if any of the Pals hold a copy of that Battalion's war diary (a good number of the Pals have copied the diaries of the battalions they have researched - I have a copy of the War Diary of the 11th Sherwood Foresters, my grandad's battalion. I whispered mine into a dictaphone at the PRO and typed it up when I got home, although I'm sure others will have photocopied theirs).

The other place that is very likely to have a copy is the Regimental Museum. For the Gordons it is at St Luke's, Viewfield Road, Aberdeen, curators number is 01224 311200. These details were correct in 1999.

I believe you could order a copy of the diary from the PRO and have it sent to you, but I also believe its an expensive process.