Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J Mayers, 13th London

John_Hartley

I was in Achicourt Road Cemetery over the weekend, visitng one of my memorial researchees and was a bit surprised to find a note in the visitors book that there was a SAD in this small, seemingly out of the way, cemetery. Just wondered if anyone has brief details about this chap?

From Gerard Oram 'Death Sentences' edited by Julian Putkowski.

Private James Mayers, 1/13th London coutmartialed on 1st March 1917 , charge was quitting X2 , sentence was SAD suspended and given 5years penal servitude.

Private James Mayers, 1/13th Royal Fusiliers, courtmartialed 22nd May 1917, charged with desertion + , shot at dawn 16th June 1917.

Aged 25 . previous SAD suspended 1st March 1917 + escaped.

PRO reference WO71/564

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Thanks for the info. If I've read your post correctly, Mayers was tried for desertion and, effectively, gets five years. He escapes from custody and is tired for this offence (also being classed as desertion) and is executed.

Annie - ta for the silent cities link. I hadnt realised there was a 2nd SAD in there.

Quite poignant for such a small cemetery effectively surrounded by people's back gardens.

John

John,

The answer is yes. He was charged in March with quitting (more than once) and got a suspended death sentence reduced to 5 years but he escaped. They must have caught up with him in May and he was charged with desertion + ( I don't know what the plus signifies but I suspect other general ' crimes ' associated with his being on the run ) , with the ultimate result.

He deserves our symathy.

Aye

Malcolm