Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bomberunits on the Eastern Front and Balkan

Regulus 1

Hi,

I would appreciate any information at all on German Kagohl/Bogohl or Riesenflieger Abteilung 500/501 units operating on the Eastern Front, especially concerning bombing operations against targets or contact with Allied units, bombardements on the airfields of these units etc. I have the airfields of most of these units, but not much on their activities etc. I am researching the topic for a new book, but the Balkan and Eastern Front are hard as even many of the locations already have changed of name. So any clues to give me a start to see what I should be looking for is most interesting.

Thanks and best from Johan :(

Johan

If you haven't seen it The German Giants by G W Haddow and P M Grosz (my edition was published by Putnam in 1969; SBN 370 00037 4) has a lengthy chapter on R-plane operations on the Eastern Front.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth,

I know, problem is I don't have it. I ordered it from Amazon and after nine months they still couldn't deliver it to me... So I'm still looking for that one !

Best from Johan

Johan

If you would like me to scan the relevant chapter of The German Giants and send it to you, I'll be pleased to oblige. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

Best wishes

Gareth

Gareth, my sincere thanks for your help ! This is most valuable material for me, and a very good basis for me to know where to look for information.

Best from Johan B)

Johan,

This Eastern Front site has an internal search engine – I put in some of your terms and came up with a few hits so if you haven’t used this before it may be worth a try.

http://www.warchron.com/index.htm

The two URLs below are for a German officer’s album from the Eastern Front. They contain a number of photographs associated with aircraft, including bombers so they may be of interest to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65817306@N00/sets/486575/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65817306@N00/sets/1219581/

Graham W.

Graham

Thanks for posting the link to those fascinating photographs.

I'm still wondering about the caption to the photo of the Sikorsky Ilya Mourometz bomber which calls it a 'Russian Fighter'!

Regards

Gareth

Gareth,

Some of the captions are a little off target. The albums were posted on a photographic site because they were 'interesting' (for which I am exceedingly grateful). The owner appears to have carried out some research and there is a little bit of 'lost in translation' in here as well. I'm not sure what the original captions were (if any) but thery would have been helpful.

Graham W.

Graham,

Thank you very much ! Warchron I know rather well, as I was one of the very first members of the forum and contributed some photo's for the site as well. However these albums were really new to me and interesting !

Best from Johan