Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clan Davidson

Guest Hill 60

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on a ship called the Clan Davidson, please?

The only info I have on the ship is this:

Official No. 133017.

19 Dec 1911 launched and Feb 1912 completed by W.Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No 431) for Clan Line Steamers Ltd.

24 June 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UC.17, 130 miles S.W. by W ¼ W from the Scillies while on a voyage from Brisbane to London with general cargo.

There was a Clan Davidson II, which served in WWII, but it is the first Clan Davidson I am interested in at the moment.

I would like to write an article on this ship for my Clan newsletter (when I have finished the other 4!), and of course credit will be given for information.

I have read that she was sunk off Sicily or the Scillies (are they one and the same?).

Many thanks, in advance, for any help :)

Lee

I case you hadn't checked, PROCAT has the following

T 161/239 PRIZE. Vessels: General: Claim in respect of goods on S.S. "Clan Davidson" seized and condemned as prize. 1924 Sept 26-1927 Aug 27

TS 13/145 Writ No. 354 Clan Davidson 1914

TS 13/801 Writ No. 354 Clan Davidson (Part Cargo ex) (2). 1914

Michael

Lee

From The Dictionary of Disasters at Sea During the Age of Steam by Charles Hocking:

"The Clan Davidson, Capt R K Cowie, was on a voyage from Australia to London with a cargo of frozen meat, wool and general merchandise when she was torpedoed by a German submarine. The attack took place in the early morning of June 24th, 1917, some 130 miles S.W. by W quarter W. of the Scilly Isles. The captain ordered out the boats as there was no chance of saving the vessel. The submarine surfaced as soon as the boats were afloat and took Capt. Cowie on board, but allowed him to return to his boat a short time afterwards.

The crew were picked up five hours later by the s.s. Crown of Arragon but they had not been long on board when this ship was also torpedoed and they had to take to the boats once more. Finally they were rescued by the British destroyer Lyra and landed at Plymouth.

12 members of the crew lost their lives."

Out of interest, the first Clan Davidson was built in 1883 and was wrecked on Sept 22nd 1885, near Umea whilst on a voyage from Finland to London with a cargo of wood.

Terry Reeves

To save getting irate messages from the good inhabitants of the islands mentioned, please note....

The Scilly Isles do not exist. They are correctly called the Isles of Scilly.

I've been corrected too many times on that one and they take it very seriously!!