Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major MC Devonshire Regiment Pilot ID Help Needed

aeroraider

I would like to identify the pilot in this painting. This might typically be a tall order, but there are several clues. The painting is dated 1917 at Luxeuil.

1. His hair is greying at the temples, perhaps 40 years old... not many 40 year old pilots in 1917.

2. His tunic has ribbons for the Military Cross, India General Service Medal and 1911 Coronation/Durbar. Likely a pre-war soldier in India.

3. The collar badges are regimental ones, I have forgotten the unit, but they are identifiable.

4. The initials AJS are in the corner, perhaps his... rather than the artist.

5. His rank badges are for a Major, perhaps a squadron commander.

Any help appreciated.

post-2947-1139686982.jpg

aeroraider,

The collars look like Devonshire Regt.

BW Roy

Thanks for the information.

Based on what I could see on the web, you are correct.

Now we know...

RFC Major, transferred to RFC from the Devonshire Regiment, MC winner. Narrowed a bit more!

• 3 weeks later...

How about Lt Col Ernest Hewlett? Based on a quick trawl of Nationa Archives medal records searching the Devonshire/RFC combination. You would need to pursue the MC.

Patrick

• 14 years later...
On 4 March 2006 at 21:06, APW said:

How about Lt Col Ernest Hewlett? Based on a quick trawl of Nationa Archives medal records searching the Devonshire/RFC combination. You would need to pursue the MC.

Patrick

I don't think Ernest was a pilot; he was posted to HQ RFC as an SO3 in Nov 14. And he didn't have the MC. 

As a Devonian, I can locate only one RFC Major, ex-Devonshire Regiment with an MC- Arthur Hicks Peck. The case against it being him is strong- does not look  too close to a later photograph on Mr. Google.  And he had a bar to MC gazetted in Jan.1918.

It might help if we could get a bit more information about the picture itself-provenance, location, etc. As it stands, if this man was a career soldier, then there is no real evidence that his being a Major would be located at TNA if his service continued after 1918, which seems very likely.