Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Poelcappelle, 1917

sugerand

I have been tracing the movements of the 1/7 West Yorkshires through The Great War and would be grateful if anyone could give me a copy of a trench map showing the Wolfe Farm, Yetta Houses, Peter Pan areas. Can anyone tell me what exactly 'Peter Pan' was? Do these area still exist or are they land marked with any othe buildings or structures? (I am hoping to visit the area in the near future.)

smc, if you are sucessful in taking photos of this area I would be very interested as the wifes Great uncle R.Jones 1/4th Hallamshire Y&L was shot and later died of wounds around Wolfs Farm.(see my avitar).

Hwyl

Kevin

Hi

• 7 months later...

Hello Sue

Did you ever get across to Belgium, I have more detail for you

Andy

Hello Sue

Did you ever get across to Belgium, I have more detail for you

Andy

Hi Andy

I haven't managed to get to Belgium yet but have a provisional trip planned for Easter of next year, I have gathered information so that I can retrace some of my Gt Uncles Steps during his time there. I would be very grateful for anything that you could pass on.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Sue

This photo of Peter Pan was taken in March this year. It was almost certainly a farm house or farm buildings which had been fortified to turn it into a German stronghold. It was the 1st objective of 1/5 W. Yorks. on 9th October. I have been assured that this new building is on or very close to the original one. Enjoy your visit.

Keithpost-1944-1159646191.jpg

Hello Guys

Here is a 1917 trench area map of the area around the Peter Pan bunker position and the Yetta Houses that are mentioned in the war diaries

I'll post more later

Regards

Andy

[To save space on the Forum please PM me to see this picture, it has been removed after 2 years]

Sue, there are some other present day photographs and explanations of the Peter Pan area supplied by Marnik on another thread. If you would like to see them go into the search facility and key in 'October 1917 Passchendaele, present day locations'.

Keith

Hello Sue

If you e-mail me I shall send you scans of the actions by the 7th on the 9th October around Peter Pan and Yetta Houses

Best Regards

Andy

:rolleyes:

Hello Mike & Sue

I hope you have found those scans of interest

Anyone else out there, just ask and I'll do whatever I can :D

Regards

Andy

Hello Sue

If you e-mail me I shall send you scans of the actions by the 7th on the 9th October around Peter Pan and Yetta Houses

836@mozz41.freeserve.co.uk

Best Regards

Andy

1st Yetta House

2nd Peter Pan

post-11745-1159905755.jpg

post-11745-1159905888.jpg

• 3 months later...
Hello Mike & Sue

I hope you have found those scans of interest

Anyone else out there, just ask and I'll do whatever I can :D

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I wonder if you know if Alder Farm, Inch House and Vacher Farm still exist? and if so, do you have any photos?

Bernie

Hi Andy,

I wonder if you know if Alder Farm, Inch House and Vacher Farm still exist? and if so, do you have any photos?

Bernie

If I'm right they do, but it's Adler instead of Alder according to my info.

Attached an aerial photograph of www.giswest.be , but I can also take pictures of them, it's only a couple of kilometers of my home ;-)

post-8025-1168507274.jpg

Attached an aerial photograph of www.giswest.be , but I can also take pictures of them, it's only a couple of kilometers of my home ;-)

:) That is absolutely superb and many many thanks. I assume Winchester Farm which is where the 1/5 Glos dug in is a few hundred yards to the left of that excellent picture?

I have tried the web you gave me but no luck with it - must be my fingers!!

May I ask about Hillock Farm, Maison de Hibou, Border House, Jew Hill and Hillock Farm which is the other places I would like to locate before I bring over my ancient friend.

Meet up for lunch???

Bernie :rolleyes:

Hello great view of the area, I have been pouring over my maps and can't find the farms!!!!!

Andy

Thanks Andy, I should probably have said that the action was on 16th Aug 1917 with 145th Brigade around the St Julien area.

Bernie and one again, THANKS

Thanks Andy, I should probably have said that the action was on 16th Aug 1917 with 145th Brigade around the St Julien area.

Bernie and one again, THANKS

:) That is absolutely superb and many many thanks. I assume Winchester Farm which is where the 1/5 Glos dug in is a few hundred yards to the left of that excellent picture?

I have tried the web you gave me but no luck with it - must be my fingers!!

May I ask about Hillock Farm, Maison de Hibou, Border House, Jew Hill and Hillock Farm which is the other places I would like to locate before I bring over my ancient friend.

Meet up for lunch???

Bernie :rolleyes:

Indeed, Winchester Farm is more to the left of the former photograph and still is an existing farm !

I made two other shots for you :

one with Jew Hill and Border House on. Seems Border House is not there anymore and Jew Hill is full of new houses. One of my collegues is living there and so is a cousin of my wife.

Hillock Farm is still there as you see, but it seems Maison du Hibou has moved to the road.

If you come to Ypres let me know. Always interesting to meet each other.

If you do find any info related to tanks ( they were fighting near Hillock Farm and certainly Maison du Hibou) let me know.

post-8025-1168549755.jpg

Indeed, Winchester Farm is more to the left of the former photograph and still is an existing farm !

I made two other shots for you :

one with Jew Hill and Border House on. Seems Border House is not there anymore and Jew Hill is full of new houses. One of my collegues is living there and so is a cousin of my wife.

Hillock Farm is still there as you see, but it seems Maison du Hibou has moved to the road.

If you come to Ypres let me know. Always interesting to meet each other.

If you do find any info related to tanks ( they were fighting near Hillock Farm and certainly Maison du Hibou) let me know.

and here the one of Hillock Farm and Maison du Hibou. I do pass there every day several times !

post-8025-1168549905.jpg