Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training camps, England

Guest Sylvia Pankhurst

Guest Sylvia Pankhurst

My grandfather, Isidore Julius Silverman, lived London all his life, but was classified as an Enemy Alien; finally called up for training in 1918. He never served overseas. All I know is 'Borden'; '10th Battalion Middlesex Regiment'; 'Enemy Aliens Labour battalion'. Can anyone untangle the riddles and supply information? Was there an Enemy Aliens battalion? Could my grandmother have visited him in the camp? Where was Borden? Kent? Help please to put flesh on a family legend.

Sylvia P.

Guest Sylvia Pankhurst
Have you contacted The Anglo-German Family History Society?

http://www.art-science.com/agfhs/

They may help.

Kath.

Thanks Kath, but he wasn't German - born Brody, Galicia, then in Austria, now the Ukraine. His elder brother, born Russia, was categorised a 'Friendly Alien', younger brothers British. There was always a problem with conscripting men who'd lived all their lives here, but whose passports made them Aliens. I believe a special Aliens Battalion was instituted, or at least, mooted, but can't find anything about it.

Sylvia P.

Sylvia

Try a search of this site.

Aliens in the WW1 Army have been mentioned several times before now. Here is one thread, but you will find plenty more:

Regards to Silvio Corrio and to the E.L.F.

Hi Sylvia

It might not be much but I hope it helps. There was an Army Garrason at BORDON Hampshire off the A325 north of Petersfield during WW1. The Army still have a presence there today although greatly reduced.

Hope this helps

Bob

Sylvia

It seems to me that your grandfather served in either 30th or 31st (Works) Bns of the Middlesex Regiment. These were formed from aliens of enemy parentage. The 30th was based at Reading in 1918 and the 31st at Reigate, Harpenden, and Croydon. Myrtle on this forum is very knowledgable on these bns and might be able to tell you more.

Charles M