Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Free State army

Chris_Baker

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a reference that would tell me, of the organisation of the Free State (I've also seen it referred to as the National) Army of Ireland in the early 1920's?

William R. English-Murphy MC, CO of the 1st South Staffords in 1918, became a Brigadier in this army. He also moved the "English" from his surname to become W. R. E. Murphy. I lose track of him in about 1925, until he pops up again in the 1960s, trying to obtain copies of his medals after his originals were lost in a house fire.

Chris,

Murphy appears twice in Carlton Younger's "The Irish Civil War". On one occassion he set his men to digging trenches which apparantly they found pretty rum given the nature of the fighting. I enjoyed the book but I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on bias and accuracy and I don't know that it contains just what you are after.

Rob Carman.

• 17 years later...
On 08/09/2003 at 05:55, Chris_Baker said:

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a reference that would tell me, of the organisation of the Free State (I've also seen it referred to as the National) Army of Ireland in the early 1920's?

William R. English-Murphy MC, CO of the 1st South Staffords in 1918, became a Brigadier in this army. He also moved the "English" from his surname to become W. R. E. Murphy. I lose track of him in about 1925, until he pops up again in the 1960s, trying to obtain copies of his medals after his originals were lost in a house fire.

This should help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._R._E._Murphy

John McMahon, USA (grandson). My 100 year old mother Joan Murphy (McMahon) is his surviving daughter from Ardee. Co.Louth Ireland.

• 3 years later...

Thanks very much for sharing that Karl. Very interesting on many levels for me. He lived a very interesting life. 
I recently attended the National Stadium to watch the Gardaí boxing club (v NYFD) blissfully unaware of Murphy’s legacy with both club & Stadium. 

Edited by Jervis

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2003 at 02:55, Chris_Baker said:

Two things, minor I guess.

First he could not have been a Brigadier as there was no such rank. He could have been a Brigadier General. He was a Major General.

Second, he did not remove  '"English" from his surname to become W. R. E. Murphy.'  If anything he may have added English when serving in British Army.

He was born in 1890 as Murphy

1890 Birth registration for William Richard Murphy

He is on the 1911 census as Murphy

1911 census for William R. Murphy

He married Mary Fortune in 1918 with surname Murphy

1918 Marriage registration of William Murphy and Mary Fortune

He is on the 1922 census with surname Murphy, a "C. Genl" which I presume stands for Commanding General

1922 Army Census, William Murphy

Edited by Wexflyer

6 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

First he could not have been a Brigadier as there was no such rank. He could have been a Brigadier General. He was a Major General.

Second, he did not remove  '"English" from his surname to become W. R. E. Murphy.'  If anything he may have added English when serving in British Army.

He is on the 1922 census with surname Murphy, a "C. Genl" which I presume stands for Commanding General

Excellent work thank you! 

On 24/01/2024 at 03:01, Wexflyer said:

Commandant-General not Commanding-General

Concise article in History Ireland magazine on his career:

History Ireland

Mark

2 hours ago, kildaremark said:

Commandant-General not Commanding-General

Concise article in History Ireland magazine on his career:

History Ireland

Mark

I though Commandant General was an IRA rank, and the National army used Major General. Wiki, that font of all wisdom, supports my contention 😀