Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

149th Infantry Brigade...?

Trevelyan

In addition to my first question, I was wondering if anyone knew who was in command of the 149th Infantry Brigade circa January 1917?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Christopher

www.king-emperor.com

Robert Montgomery Ovens, a fiery red-headed Irishman and a fine officer.

Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1914 and again in 1915. Born 3 July 1868, second son of John Coote Ovens JP, of Aughnagaddy House, Killybegs, County Donegal. Educated at Westward House, and RMC Sandhurst. Joined the Army in 1889, rising to Lt Col commanding the Battalion in 1913. Married in 1910, to Beatrice Clibborn, of Liverpool. They had three daughters. During the course of the war, he was wounded (at the First Battle of Ypres), Mentioned in Despatches three times, awarded the CMG and Order of St Stanislas of Russia 3rd Class. He was made Temporary Brigadier-General, from 1916. After the war, he became, in succession, DAAG Musketry, Station Staff Officer 1st Class, and then a Brigade Major in India. He died in December 1950, when a resident of Mytchett, Aldershot.

If any residents of the Aldershot area know where he is buried, I would be very interested.

Thank you both for the quick reply, and the short bio of Brig.Gen.Ovens is great. Much apprecaited.

Best Regards,

Chris

• 15 years later...