Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SHELL CASE WAR MEMORIAL

HERITAGE PLUS

http://pmsa.courtauld.ac.uk/../images/nrpB...BLM/BLMSO85.jpg

The image on this link is of the War Memorial (1920) ay Weston Zoyland Village near Bridgwater, Somerset. Do any of the pals know of anything similar?

I recall similar Naval shells in the old Caledonian Station ( now demolished) in Edinburgh. They were either side of a Memorial to the Caledonian Railway employees who fell. I wonder where that is now?

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

If I recall the plaque is there near the taxi stands. No shells though.

I could (very easily) be wrong though.

Take care,

Neil

Hi Neil,

The Waverley panels are different. The ones in the Caley were to staff of the Caledonian Raiways, Waverley was GNER. A trip to the Waverley is 12.5 minutes from Currie so I'll check them out on Thursday digital camera at the ready. The shells are nowhere I can think of. They are not at the National Museum 'cos I checked. Maybe scrapped.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I could have sworn it was Caledonian but it was over a year ago and it was my honeymoon! I can assure you though, no shells.

Take care,

Neil

Here's a photo of the Turkish shell case memorial at Wilmer's Post, Azmak Dere, Suvla, Gallipoli. It stands inside a Turkish Army field cemetery and was built at an early stage in the battle. One of the best-known icons in Turkish WW1 memory is a photo of Ataturk visiting this memorial when the battle was still in progress. The position was manned by the Bursa and Istanbul Gendarmerie and when I was last in Turkey you could find photos behind the older bars and cafés of Ataturk contemplating this memorial.

Note the red tractors in background. These belong to the Turkish equivalent of the CWGC

post-19-1063562685.jpg