Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suspension Of Awards::Schools in the Great War

HarryBettsMCDCM

I recently purchased a bundle of documents @ a local Car Boot sale;which included a sibling Collection of Certificates awarded for Attendance & Conduct @ London County Council board schools,for the War Years{1914~1919}

The wording on the Certificates {9 in all} infers that the Normal awarding of Medals & Awards of Prizes,for School Work,Good conduct & attendance was suspended by the Council for the War Years.

The Certificates were awarded to Eleanor,Wilfred,Cyril,Winifred & Charles Gatford,who attended St Michael's Schools{Infants,Boys,Girls};It seems strange that as the World entered into the Abyss & Medals were being granted on a scale never before seen,that the LCC decided to abandon its previous rewards scheme & replace it with Certificates {a sample of which are shown below}

post-2388-1139155573.jpg

post-2388-1139155647.jpg

II

post-2388-1139155841.jpg

post-2388-1139155922.jpg

post-2388-1139155968.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Those are great certificates! I have seen something similar at a school near Belfast where the prizewinning pupils appear to have given up their monetary prizes for the war effort and received a certificate instead to that effect. Made me wonder how voluntary their actions were!

Swizz

I recently purchased a bundle of documents @ a local Car Boot sale;which included a sibling Collection of Certificates awarded for Attendance & Conduct @ London County Council board schools,for the War Years{1914~1919}

The wording on the Certificates {9 in all} infers that the Normal awarding of Medals & Awards of Prizes,for School Work,Good conduct & attendance was suspended by the Council for the War Years.

The Certificates were awarded to Eleanor,Wilfred,Cyril,Winifred & Charles Gatford,who attended St Michael's Schools{Infants,Boys,Girls};It seems strange that as the World entered into the Abyss & Medals were being granted on a scale never before seen,that the LCC decided to abandon its previous rewards scheme & replace it with Certificates {a sample of which are shown below}

End of war austerity measures to go hand in hand with rationing and general feeling of " all in this together". It would have been thought to be bad form to celebrate at a time when there would have been a weekly roll call of FPs killed and wounded.

Folks

I do not have access to the item as I store it in Essex (I am on IoM, where damp can be a problem), but here goes.......

My grandfather was awarded a book (Rounding up the Raider, by Percy F Westerman or Westerham) as a school prize from East Ham Grammar School in 1917. So, they were awarding things the year before......

Cheers

Mark

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I carried out a google search on my father Cyril Gatford and a link to this post was forthcoming. As you can imagine, I was amazed to find this information.

Eleanor, was my Aunt Nellie,

Wilfred, My uncle Wilf,

Cyril, My father

Winifred my aunt Winnie

Charles my uncle Charles

All are now dead and I would love to have the certificates to add to my 'family archives' and would be very interested in knowing where the car boot sale was being held as I cannot understand how they would have left the family!

Please contact me at tonygatford@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Hi Tony

Goodness Me this was some time ago!!

The Car Boot was IIRC in Wisbech Cambridgeshire from a House Clearance Dealer I think... I will contact you shortly

HB

• 4 weeks later...

Hello HB,

I'm not trying to be pushy - well I suppose I am! :-) I am still waiting to hear from you about the certificates.

Regards, Tony

It seems strange that as the World entered into the Abyss & Medals were being granted on a scale never before seen,that the LCC decided to abandon its previous rewards scheme & replace it with Certificates {a sample of which are shown below}

Harry: You'll probably find that the replacement of school medals and trophies by certificates was due to a desire to conserve metal and also to draw a line between medals for courage and sacrifice and those for schoolwork. Yours, Antony

Ive not forgotten,but I have them in Boxes {many,many} as I had to pack up my library where they were stored & as yet havent unpacked so have no idea exactly where they are I will contact as soon as I relocate them HB

:unsure:

• 7 months later...

Hello again HB,

I was wondering if you have had any success in locating the certificates. Not having heard from you since April, I was hoping that you may have had some success....

Kind Regards Tony Gatford tonygatford@hotmail.com is my email address if it is easier for you to use.

By defintion, London County Council schools were not Board schools. When public education was introduced in 1870, they were administered by locally elected School Boards. By 1902 it was accepted that this artificial separation of education from other municipal functions was wasteful and inefficient, and responsibility was transferred to relevant councils.

The fact that in some respects the present government is attempting to turn the clock back to 1870 is a topic outside GWF.

The fact that in some respects the present government is attempting to turn the clock back to 1870 is a topic outside GWF.

Magnumbellum,

With respect, I think that such comments should be avoided on this Forum. There are more suitable places available :thumbsup:

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello again Harry,

Hello Harry,

Can you please contact me about the cerificates?

Thanks tonygatford@hotmail.com

Ive not forgotten,but I have them in Boxes {many,many} as I had to pack up my library where they were stored & as yet havent unpacked so have no idea exactly where they are I will contact as soon as I relocate them HB

:unsure:

• 3 months later...

To Harry Betts

Could you please contact me as I still very keen to be able to obtain these certificates as they would mean a great deal to the descendants of the original recipients. Many thanks. I can be contacted on tonygatford@hotmail.com

• 8 years later...