Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling all Seafoth Experts

Guest J.Woodward

Guest J.Woodward

Calling all experts of the Seaforths Highlanders. In my research I have come across a soldier of the name of Vernon Radford Woodward (no relation and I think I have the name right). I believe he volunteered in Manchester during the early years of the war. Despite being well educated he served throughout in the ranks and as a machine gunner in the latter part of the war. He was wounded several times and as a party trick after the war he would wiggle around a piece of shrapnel embedded in his skull. Interestingly he appears to have been closely related to the family who owned the Courthalds firm, however after the war he became a bit of a black sheep after leaving his wife and running of with his much younger mistress. As I will be unable to go to the PRO for several months I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge of the Seaforths could help me with any info on his soldier. :huh:

Not seen in Medal Index Cards (for WOODWARD/WOODWARDS/ WOODWART/WOODWARK) - I'm assuming lump of shrapnel in skull = active service = medals.

I did find

Pte Vernon WOODWARD 23007 Lanc Fus to Gallipoli 15 Aug 15 died 28 Nov 15

Sgt Radford WOODWARD SE/1621 AVC to France 14 Dec 14

Gnr Radford WOODWARD 1441 then 915688 RFA

Gnr Radford WOODWARD 2998 then 777022 RFA

Gnr Vernon RADFORD MM 45035 RFA to France 19 Sep 15

So I think you may have the name/story wrong ...........

Jock Bruce

Guest J.Woodward

Thanks Jock, well the mystery deepens! The name is definately right as is the regiment. I have managed to contact his grandson who has confirmed the details of his life and regiment - he has his grandfathers cap badge still. Indeed he also seems to have been the treasurer of the Manchester Corporation post-war. Clearly a mystery figure, I shall have to delve deeper on this one. Thank you very much for your time and effort Jock, it was very sporting of you,

Yours Joe

I don't know if this is your man. The birth of one VERNON RADFORD WOODWARD was registered in the Altrincham(Cheshire) Registration District in September 1893.

Joe,

I'm in the PRO again next week. Medal cards do get misfiled, so I'll try the 15 Star roll (which is in alphabetical order) and service papers - although bitter experience is that the Seaforth's papers were right in the Luftwaffe's crosshairs ...........

Jock

Guest J.Woodward

Thanks again Jock that would be great. Heritage Plus thanks for the info, I contacted the grandson again and this would seem to be the man, at least now I know he isn't the figment of an overactive imagination! :D

Joe

Joe,

this guy doesn't appear in the Seaforth 14/15 Star roll and there are no service papers for him.

The one thought I had driving home last night was to try the 14 Star roll in case he went out with 4th Seaforth in Nov 14, or with the 1st or 2nd before that - although I don't think the latter is likely. I may have locked my mind into any Manchester enlistments being too late to see active service in 1914. This assumes that the 14 Star roll is in alphabetical order, I've never had the need to consult it. I'll try next year.

Failing that, unless the family have more than a capbadge, the only route I can suggest for trying to find out anything is the local newspapers of the period or, if it exists, a roll of service for the area.

Jock Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
Guest J.Woodward

Oh dear! This is a bit of a puzzler. Thanks awfully for all your trouble Jock, it was very sporting of you. I'm beggining to think that old Vernon Radford is a bit like Lord Lucan, he can simply vanish at will!

Joe