Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmet identity question

Historama

Andrew,

Is the weight of metal the same as a War Office/MKI helmet or inferior?

Hi Joe, I can't check at the moment as it's gone right to the back of my cuboard and my Vickers is in the way at the moment :ph34r: , but I've got a Living History event this weekend, which means I'll get the helmet back out then, and weigh it against my others and see what happens...

Fascinating stuff about these early helmets - I got this one as a birthday present as I was hoping to actually use it for reenactment :o but then decided against it when I realised the helmet was literally unused.

I just re-read Marcus Cotton's article in Militaria and he indicates that the earliest Brodies did in fact have round rivets - So I stand corrected...

Make mine a pint will you... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After a busy week, I weighed the helmets in my collection and got the following results:

Firstly, I did the Portuguese helmet - the shell, liner and chinstrap weighed in at around 0.8kg.

Then I weighed an original later war rimmed shell (F/S 170), with its original liner and original rubber doughnut and pad (chinstrap missing) - 1.0kg.

Lastly, I weighed my reenacting helmet (original rimmed shell marked H.V. 348) with a reproduction liner, chinstrap, doughnut, padding and cotton camoflage cover - 1.0kg.

Even just by picking up the Portuguese helmet in one hand and another original in the other, after you mentioned it the weight difference was immediately noicable...

Hello,

The red start on the front does not mean that it was an American Helmet.

The CEF that went to Siberia also painted a Red start on the front of their helmets as well.

Cam

• 2 weeks later...

I have a helmet which I thought was American-made (round loop rivets, separate rim piece, olive drab color, sawdust texture). On the underside of the rim is stamped "U C 3 0 4." According to my research there were only seven helmet manufacturers in the U.S. and none of them had the initials "UC." Can anyone identify this maker? Many thanks.

• 14 years later...

I have bought this WW I British made Brodie helmet marked D/F7 . D is the stamp marks from J. Dixon & sons Ltd of Sheffield (1915) and F is the stamp of the steel supplier/batch ?. The Portuguese forces adopted the British Brodie helmet. On the front we can still see remains of the crest of a Portuguese Civil Defense Unit used between the wars. The Portuguese have put a new liner in post ww1.  I think it has not been repainted and is the original colour. It was named M/917-30 brodie steel helmet.

Keith

p tin hat liner 1.JPG

p tin hat inside D F7 JPG.JPG

p tin hat rivet  inside.JPG

p tin hat top 1.JPG

p tin hat front.JPG

p tin hat top.JPG

p tin hat rivet .JPG

Edited by morrisc8

I wonder if the British supplied the shell and the Portugeuse were expected to put their own liners in them?

David

1 hour ago, GRANVILLE said:

I wonder if the British supplied the shell and the Portugeuse were expected to put their own liners in them?

David

The shell and liner were british when bought/issued then the portuguese , upgraded the liner after the war.Until the early 1940s, the standard combat helmet of the Portuguese Army was the Brodie helmet, adopted during World War I, two versions of which were in use, referred in Portuguese service as the M1916 and the M1917.

Here is a link for more info.

http://brendonshelmets.weebly.com/portugal-m1630.html

• 8 months later...