Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Body Density maps

Howard

There are several maps in the Imperial War Museum collection known as "body density" maps, part of one is shown by clicking here. It is thought they originated from the Graves Registration Units after the war in 1918.

The maps are normal 1:40,000 editions but each 500 yard square is marked in blue pencil with what are believed to be the number of bodies or graves found in that square. In the same blue pencil, areas are given names.

Sadly there are no dates on the maps nor are there any indications of what the numbers actually mean.

Has anyone any information about what these maps may be or who drew them etc.?

There is a story that High Wood was not cleared of bodies. There is no number on High Wood so that appears to support that.

Howard

I would imagine that, given the level of death in the wood, it was never fully cleared despite the best efforts of the clearance parties.

But then again I believd that it is true of many such locations

Hello Howard

THe body density map that you show in your thread doesnt show many body counts around the area of Barastre and

Villers-au-Flos, and considering that during the German Offensive we lost a lot of soldiers here, my Gt Gt Uncle being one of them and his body was lost and never to be found.Are these maps available to purchase

from the I. W. Museum?.If you could give me any info on this I would be greatful,as I am trying to find out who would have buried these lads (British Prisoners/The Germans/or French civilians).There seems to have been so many not found.

Regards

Andy.

Very interesting, Howard. As you say though, without understanding what the numbers actually mean (such as at what date they were recorded), it is difficult to interpret what it actually tells us. I shall watch this with interest.

Howard,

I cant put my finger on it at the moment but I read in one of my books that was an estimated 8000 bodies still in High Wood (British and German)

Peter

Found it.

The Hell they called High Wood by Terry Norman page 238 and I quote.

" High Wood was never cleared when the Somme battlefields were methodically combed by military exhumation parties after the Armistice. The thickness ot its young and thrusting undergrowth, coupled with the large quantities of live ammunition within its perimeters, made the wood too impenetrable for anything beyond a cursory search. It is said that the wood is the final resting place of over 8000 British and German dead. The only dispute about this figure is that it is possibly on the conservative side."

Peter

It is said that the wood is the final resting place of over 8000 British and German dead. The only dispute about this figure is that it is possibly on the conservative side."

Peter

To answer several questions in one post. Currently they are not available from the museum but I am working on it! I am near to success and am keeping my fingers crossed. I shall keep folk informed if successful.

There are 4 of these 1:40,000 maps, mainly of the Somme area. The CWGC have not answered my query which was much the same as my first post.

The numbers on the map are a puzzle, especially in the light of the 8000 dead. Areas such as Serre do not show high numbers so we presume the maps pre-date the fighting there, but this is only a supposition. Another point, is the 8000 in High Wood actually within the boundry of the Wood or its immediate area? If it is the local area, it is still hard to get the map to add to 8000.

The image shown here is around Bapaume and shows one of the many other puzzles, why 229 in one square and 3 in the next. Dates would help so much as would the author/compiler.

One possibility is that the numbers represent the bodies found post war after initial clearance. Only a guess though.

Howard

IF the figures were some compilation of post war battlefield clearance, perhaps a high figure in one quadrant, like the 229, might indicate a battlefield burial plot, rather than a high incidence of individual remains?

Surely the numbers refer to the number of burials in each map square. The '229' figure can be explained as there were a number of battlefield cemeteries established close to Bapaume, following it's capture by the New Zealand Division in August 1918. I suspect this was one of them; especially as they entered the town from this side. These burials were later moved to Grevillers. The red named cemeteries are all later ones, or at least ones that were made permanant. I suspect therefore that the number referes to the number of bodies exhumed from that map square and moved to a new location?

I suspect therefore that the number referes to the number of bodies exhumed from that map square and moved to a new location?

That sounds plausible to me. Presumably this would have been after the war but before about 1922?

Howard

I would agree that the time frame you mention sounds about right. It certainly would be interesting to see more of these maps. Thanks for posting the images here.

• 8 months later...
I would imagine that, given the level of death in the wood, it was never fully cleared despite the best efforts of the clearance parties.

But then again I believd that it is true of many such locations

My Great Uncles Body,was not Found until 1923 just inside High Wood opposite where London Cemetery now Stands.

HIGH WOOD

I did some research a few years ago at the HQ of the CWGC and was allowed to view the original cemetery index for Caterpillar Valley Cemetery. In this index a map reference was given of the position the body came from (within a 50 yard square).

Until the wood was taken on the 15 September, 1916, the British held the trenches in the southern section of the wood. With the figures provided I was able to establish that around 640 bodies were removed from High Wood and taken to Caterpillar Valley Cemetery.

The red dots on the map represent bodies found during the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and buried in London Cemtery.

Hope this is of interest

Terry

post-66-1162490070.jpg

Thanks Terry,the IWM provided me with an actual map and Location of His Exhumation,its too Big to Scan.If you have anything else on the High Wood/Caterpillar Valley Burial Area i would really like to Hear from You.Forgot to mention that His Body was found in Queens Trench,which is marked on your map.Anymore information on this Particular Sector i would very much like to see...Regards. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Very interesting, Howard. As you say though, without understanding what the numbers actually mean (such as at what date they were recorded), it is difficult to interpret what it actually tells us. I shall watch this with interest.

I have just finished Peter Barton's new book, Somme. On page 203 there is Philip Johnstone's poem, High Wood. I wonder if this poem is the source of the idea that 8000 still remain in the wood? "Were killed somewhere above eight thousand men". Does "killed" translate to "remain"?

Howard

High Wood

Ladies and gentlemen, this is High Wood,

Called by the French, Bois des Fourneaux,

The famous spot which in Nineteen-Sixteen,

July, August and September was the scene

Of long and bitterly contested strife,

By reason of its High commanding site.

Observe the effect of shell-fire in the trees

Standing and fallen; here is wire; this trench

For months inhabited, twelve times changes hands;

(They soon fall in), used later as a grave.

It has been said on good authority

That in the fighting for this patch of wood

Were killed somewhere above eight thousand men,

Of whom the greater part were buried here,

This mound on which you stand being ...

Madame, please,

You are requested kindly not to touch

Or take away the Company's property

As souvenirs; you'll find we have on sale

A large variety, all guaranteed.

As I was saying, all is as it was,

This is an unknown British officer,

The tunic having lately rotten off.

Please follow me - this way ...

The path, sir, please,

The ground which was secured at great expense

The Company keeps absolutely untouched,

And in that dug-out (genuine) we provide

Refreshments at a reasonable rate.

You are requested not to leave about

Paper, or ginger-beer bottles, or orange-peel,

There are waste-paper baskets at the gate.

Philip Johnstone, 1918