Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Tate

Raster Scanning

I picked up this picture some years ago, it is only 1"x 0.5" but I have enlarged it and enhanced it to obtain a reasonable image. the caption on the back reads "the last RE8's in Italy. Is that enough to provide an educated guess about squadron /location etc? It appears they have been prepaired for shipping or maybe scrapping. They all appear in a similar condition so I do not think they had been used as Christmas Trees.

thanks in advance.

John

post-5-1062900466.jpg

Who was Harry Tate? The photographer or one of those 3 men in the photo?

Sorry Christine :rolleyes: .

I was forgetting that this is a truly international forum.

As Lee states Harry Tate is the Cockney Rhyming Slang that this aircraft was known by during the war. Harry Tate was a well known music hall star of the time, he died of wounds received in an air raid in 1940 :( .

John.

Shows my ignorance :(

I have a Harry Tate among my men, in the RNVR

Didn't think it could be him!!

I think the RE8s (Harry Tates, if you like) would be aircraft of No 34 Sqn RAF, which served in Italy from 14 November 1917 until the Armistice. The other RE8 unit on the Italian Front, No 42 Sqn, arrived in Italy on 1 December 1917 and returned to the Western Front on 14 March 1918.

Why is it that when I make one of my little jokes that the line of enquiery goes dead. I do not mean any harm but bif something strikes me as funny I like to pass it on.This should not and does not take away from the increadible expertise that is found on this forum.It does highlight my incredible lack of expertise.'

Just so that you all know the problems I hav.The cat has just peed all over my key board.I am now going for a wash.

JOHN :angry:

Why is it that when I make one of my little jokes that the line of enquiery goes dead. I do not mean any harm but bif something strikes me as funny I like to pass it on.

The cat has just peed all over my key board.I am now going for a wash.

John - It's either your jokes are as bad as mine, or everyone is still laughing too much! As for your cat soaking your keyboard.....tough, you shouldn't have a rotten cat :lol: