Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl George Webber

Raster Scanning

This article appeared in the International Daily Express in October 2000.

Bearing in mind the reputation the press has, I wondered if anyone had researched this man or knows further details of the incedents described.

Cheers

post-1-1062899487.jpg

The man himself.

I find it remarkable that his family would be willing to sell this mans collection, but at least it appears it was not broken up.

John

post-1-1062899746.jpg

John - A truly remarkable man.

It is a shame that his family feel the need to sell a part of their history but then we don't know their circumstances, they may need the money more than the collection.

Lets hope that we don't see this collection on e-bay in 6 months time spread over a number of Lots!

John,

Looking at the Nominal Roll of the 1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment from "Surrender Be Damned, a history of the 1/1st Monmouthshire Regiment 1914-1918", I cannot find the name of George Webber.I am assuming that in the newspaper cutting, the reference to the "First Monmouthshire Regiment" is the 1st Battalion,Monmouthshire Regiment.Apparently the Nominal Roll was compiled largely from the 1914-1918 Star Rolls and from local newspaper causualty rolls.

George Webber could have been a member of the Monmouthshire 2nd or 3rd Battalions and not the "First Monmouthshire Regiment". He came from the catchment area for this Territorial Regiment.

Perhaps some of our knowledgeable contributors might be able to recognise the Regimental cap badge but to me it does not look like that of the Monmouthshire Regiment.It could be the cap badge of a unit that George Webber was transferred to in 1916.

An interesting story of a brave man who did his duty as many others did and lived to tell of his ordeal.

As has been said ,it is a pity that the collection has to go out of his family.The best possible place for it would have been the South Wales Borderers/Monmouthshire Regimental Museum at Brecon. A superb museum for both Regiments manned by helpful staff.Nearby, Brecon Cathedral reveals more history of the 24th Foot /South Wales Borderers.Both are worth a repeat visit anytime.

John ,any idea what happened to the collection?,would be interesting to learn of the conclusion.

Regards

Frank East

Guest Ian Bowbrick

It is a shame that his family feel the need to sell a part of their history but then we don't know their circumstances, they may need the money more than the collection.

Lets hope that we don't see this collection on e-bay in 6 months time spread over a number of Lots!

Lee,

The article was from October 2000. I am going to contact the SWB Museum to see if they bought it. However I doubt it very much - Regimental Museums view to memorabilia like this unless the man won the VC have been the subject of previous threads.

Ian

Frank.

The badge does look to me to be 1st Monmouth's (they had their own badge). I have attached a picture below.

I have no other info except the article. Is it possible he joined a bifferent battaloin for training and then transferred to the 1st Battalion?

I do not live in UK but it would be interesting to look him up at Kew.

Perhaps Ian will turn something up, but like him I am not too hopeful.

Best wishes.

John.

post-1-1062975897.jpg

Lee,

The article was from October 2000. I am going to contact the SWB Museum to see if they bought it. However I doubt it very much - Regimental Museums view to memorabilia like this unless the man won the VC have been the subject of previous threads.

Ian

Ian - Keep us updated with your 'appeal', won't you?

p.s. Congratulations on the promotion, Sir :D

John, thanks for your prompt reply.

I think I have found the answer to the cap badge query.

In George Webber's photgraph, I could not make out the detail on the badge.Had I recognised the dragon then I would not have asked the question.

George Webber's badge is the badge worn by the Regiment from it's inception in 1908 until 1922.

I have a Monmouthshire Regiment cap badge which on research is the one which replaced the 1908-1922 version,ie the badge in use from 1922-1946.(I will attempt to screen it for comparison )

It was given to me by a late friend who served as teenager in the 3rd Battalion in NW Europe and fought in the fierce battle of Teutoburger Wald in April 1945 when Eddie Chapman of the same battalion won his VC. B...... was a keen veteran and up to his death maintained in regular touch with old comrades. He was a regular at the parade,service and march past held at Abergavenny (home of the 3rd Battalion) in May of each year. He knew his battalion history well and it was a pleasure to talk to him about the Monmouthshires.

The Regiment used to have a service and march past deemed "Mons Day" on or near 8th May to commemorate the sacrifice made by the 1st Battalion at the Battle of Frezenberg when they suffered heavy losses on May 8 1915 during the 2nd Battle of Ypres. George Webber if he was a member of the 1st Battalion would have been a survivor from this day.You will not find many identified dead from the Battalion from this battle as it would appear the dead were buried by the enemy and the graves subsequently lost.Their names are listed on the Menin Gate.

Regarding the SWB/Mons Reg Museum we have two sets of medals that were donated to Museum and the third set is safe with my cousin.His father, a member of the 1st Battalion survived on 8 May 1915 wounded as youth of 17years 8 months but fortunately picked up by his own side.His elder brother was not so fortunate and sustained an ankle wound such that lack of treatment and the trek into captivity resulted in leg amputation and death in a POW Camp.Hence my interest in the South Wales Borderers (The eldest uncle wounded and gassed, he in turn lost two brothers in law in April 1918 and October 1918 both kia while serving with the SWB) and of course,my interest in the 1st Battalion, the unit of my second and third uncles.

My eldest uncle came home and named his first born,"Irene" derived from the Greek word for peace.It is a fact ,both survivors did not speak much of their experiences unless asked.

Regards

Frank East

John,

Here is the Monmouthshire cap badge which I have.I think it was the second one in use by the Regiment, (the first being used between1908 and 1922) and was worn between 1922 to 1946.It came into my hands via a World War 2 veteran of the 3rd Battalion.

Myrtle,

I do not have access to the SWB Nominal Rolls.The best advice I can give is to contact the SWB/Monmouthshire Regiment Museum at Brecon.

South Wales Borderers and Monmouthshire Regimental Museum,

The Barracks,

Brecon,

Powys,

LD3 7EB

Phone 01874 62311/613310

Fax 01874 613275

www.ukonline.co.uk/rrw/index.htm

You can also e mail. Archives. martin.everett@ukonline.co.uk

There also the website of the Royal Regiment of Wales, successor Regiment to the SWB,Monmouthshire Regiment and Welch Regiment. www.rrw.org.uk.

This website has a discussion section where questions being are tabled on the old Regiments.

Best of luck with your research but remember if you want to research a Jones,include his number.Apparently 2500 Joneses have served in the SWB.How many would answer to "Jones the Butcher" I do not know.

Regards

Frank East

post-1-1063133546.jpg

Frank

Thank you for the information on SWBs but I already have it. I believe you have misunderstood my request, probably because I didn't make myself clear enough. I was asking if you would look up Stanley Webber on the Nominal Roll for The 1st Monmouths. The hunch was on something to do with your man in the Monmouths.

My mention of the SWBs was just a remark following on from your mention of your uncle. I also find the Museum at Brecon well worth visiting. The staff are always very helpful and informative.

Jones, you can say that again ! Guess which names have proved the last to be traced on the memorial I've been researching ? Yes James and Joseph Jones! The butcher by the way was called Brierly and after being a POW he returned home. :)

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,I thought you meant the SWB.

I cannot find George Webber or Stanley Webber in Les Hughes & John Dixon's excellent book "Surrender be Damned" 1st Monmouthshire Regiment Nominal Roll.

The obvious question now is, were these two Webbers,brothers?.

Regards

Frank East

Frank

I asked about Sidney Webber following a check on the Newport Harriers site. As George seemed to be a very fit individual before his run of incidents, I wondered if he had been running or playing rugby for Newport Quite a few of their men took part in WW1. One of their best runners C. Price ( some say the best runner that Wales had seen in the early 20th century) had his leg amputated after being wounded.

Anyway there was mention of a Sidney Webber as part of the Newport Junior Team around 1909. As you know at that time there was a tendency for men to use their middle names so I wondered if Stanley and George could possibly be the same person. By the way I haven't checked the Newport Rugby Club Archive but it could provide you with a lead.

Regards

Myrtle