Initials: G R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 18th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Essex Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 23/10/1918

Awards: DSO

Additional information: Son of Col. William Howard and Mrs. Lily Margaret Seymour Howard, of Glebeside, Crowhurst, Sussex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. B. 24.

Cemetery: DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN

Award and Citation of his Distinguished Service Order Gazette

Citation reads:

Lieutenant Guy Robert Howard, The Essex Regiment (Special Reserve).

While in command of a Patrol of the 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment, on the 24th of September, to the south of Vregny, made a valuable reconnaissance through a thick wood, reaching a point 150 yards from the enemy's trenches.

Hope this helps

Steve

Dave

Major G R Howard, of No 18 Sqn RAF, met a quite tragic end. He was killed when hit by a round from a Very [flare] pistol during a squadron party, presumably at Le Hameau aerodrome.

Gareth

thanks gareth. So it was completely accidental. Is there likely to be any more information this. Can you tell me what can be found out about RAF officers as i have never researched any properly? im assuming he was a pilot but i dont even know that much.

thanks

dave

Dave

Yes, Major G R Howard was a pilot. My information came from Chris Hobson's Airmen Died in the Great War. There must be more information on the man in the UK National Archives and the RAF Museum.

Regards

Gareth

From O'Moore Creagh and Humphris' book on the DSO: "Howard, Guy Robert, b 5.2.86, son of Col W Howard. Joined Essex regt and retired, entering the Special reserve. He served in the European War, was wounded and Mentioned in Despatches and created a Companion of the DSO (citation follows)...he joined the Royal Flying Corps and became Temporary Major"

Birthday tomorrow - 104 years before my daughter Emily!

Not one in Creagh/Humphris' book, I'm afraid.

Dave

Guy Robert Howard is listed on the "Haileybury College" Roll of Honour, it may be worthwhile contacting them to see if they have any details.

Link to the website is Here

Regards

Steve

• 8 years later...
Guest Beaumore

Guy Howard was my great uncle. Prior to her death my grandmother passed on information related to the incident in the mess.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Beaumore,

I sent a PM a couple of days ago relating to this but I don't know if you have picked it up as you are new on the forum and your privelleges may not allow this yet.

If you revisit your post and read this please check and let me know.

Regards,

Mike

• 4 years later...

Am coming into this forum as a novice!....Guy Robert Howard was also my great Uncle and we are planning to visit Duisans on 23rd October 2018.   I have been doing research.....we have papers from his brother, my grandfather, and I have WW1 records,  although not quite complete, and it could just be that Beaumore has the missing links..... regards, Annabelle