Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Histories

FJ_VF168

Pat, the bit you cannot read-

„verstorben sei nach Verwundung infolge Bauchschußes durch Gewehrgeschoß. (Stunde des Todes nicht angegeben)“

Charlie

The Prussian

Well, that´s strange. Once Liebchenz, once Liebehenz. But I think the official documents are right. So Liebehenz will be right.

In the manual scripts he is written "Liebehenze"

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you Andy and Charlie for your help.  I haven't been on much, even though we are locked down for the last week here in Greece and I'm just in the house. I work on the Regiment History and search for photos of the battle, the area, the uniform.  I would like to find where he is buried, but so far the Volksbund has no record of him. Is it safe to assume that since he died in the hospital, there would have been a record of where he was buried?  So many soldier's cemeteries in that area, so many deaths.  I can't conceive of the scope.    If anyone has guidance on how/where to search, please let me know.     With all best wishes for health and safety. Pat

He may have been repatriated to be buried at home. Another possibility is that he is buried in the East and most of those graves are either lost or are not online.

Jan

The Prussian

Well, that´s a good question. Buried in Hamburg (where he lived) or in Sandershausen (where he was born). I don´t think he was buried in East-Prussia.

The regimental history writes, that the "Ersatz" of the regiment came in peacetime to 50% from East-Prussia, the rest from Brandenburg, Westphalia and from Hanseatic cities, during the war from East-Prussia, Berlin, Hamburg, Lübeck, Bremen and Alsatians and Lorraines

Edited by The Prussian
  • 3 weeks later...
joerookery

Can anybody direct me to a PDF version 3 Ulan regiment? Thank you in advance.

The Prussian

Hello Charlie!

Patrick has 3rd guard Ulans, not 3rd regiment of the line

charlie2
2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Charlie!

Patrick has 3rd guard Ulans, not 3rd regiment of the line

Thanks Andy, my mistake :)

joerookery

Thank both of you! I had the wrong URL for PATRICK.

• 1 month later...
ZweitesSchwere

Hello

I also have Najork's history of the Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment Nr. 2 (SRR2).

I'd be interested to see what your book on the battles in the Champagne has to say about this units role in the action of 25-27 Sept 1915

charlie2
3 hours ago, ZweitesSchwere said:

Hello

I also have Najork's history of the Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment Nr. 2 (SRR2).

I'd be interested to see what your book on the battles in the Champagne has to say about this units role in the action of 25-27 Sept 1915

Have you read „Kämpfe in der Champagne“ ? https://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/image/AC05992094/1/LOG_0000/
Charlie

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, i know that the first post is old now, but i'm highly interested about the history of the Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 56.

My great grandfather was in this regiment during WWI. Is it possible to get a copy of the book or any document related ?

Thanks !

There actually is a regimental history:

• Werner Oelze: "Das Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 56 im Weltkrieg", Erinnerungsblätter Preussen, Bd. 318, Berlin 1930, 111 Seiten.
  • GreYC

The Regimental history is available from Patrick in digital form for 5€ if you don‘t want to buy the book or obtain it through your local library. 

https://military-books.lima-city.de

Charlie

Oh thank you so much, i didn't know that website ! Is the digital form exactly similar to the book ?

Because the book seems rare and is a bit expensive (around 200 euros on ebay).

48 minutes ago, LIR5611K said:

Is the digital form exactly similar to the book ?

Yes, the pages are scanned directly from the books and saved in PDF format.

Charlie

7 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Yes, the pages are scanned directly from the books and saved in PDF format.

Thank you a lot Charlie ! :) I am really grateful to you !