Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map 51 b S W Arras Area

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Where can I get a clear copy of the above map. I've been researching my mum's cousin, he was in the RGA and the war diary states that they were using the above map. I would love a copy so I can locate the gun positions and there targets. He was killed and is buried in Tilloy.

Hope to go to his grave and the battlefield this year. Please help, if you can.

Thanks for looking,

Stewart.

Guest Simon Bull

Have you tried purchasing the relevant trench map from the Western Front Association?

What date was your mother's cousin killed on -- my grandfather won a medal in this area?

Thanks both for your replies. I was on the WFA web site the other night, I must have missed that map.

The chap I'm researching is in fact my Granddad's cousin [Mum's 2nd cousin]. His name was William Stewart and he served with 254 Siege Battery RGA. I've been very lucky in that one of the Pals has been doing research into the same HAG and sent me copies of the war diary. On the 21 April 1917, when Willie was killed, his battery was next to Tilloy and had just started a bombardment of the 2nd battle of the Scarpe. It states that the Cookhouse, which was in a captured dugout, was hit by a German Heavy shell. Willie was killed and two other Gunners from his battery were wounded. Willie and the two Gunner's are named in the War Diary!

I hope to go to Tilloy this year, to visit his grave.

Regards,

Stewart

Willie took part in the bombardment that preceeded the attack on the 9th. The battery was in this area from mid Feb 1917. I want to get the map, so I can see which areas they were targeting.

Regards,

Stewart