Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Definition of a "knut" please

Moonraker

To the south of Manchester can be found the small market town of Knutsford, probabaly Knut's river crossing Knut is still a Norwegian name.

45 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Remains in a mortuary chest in Winchester Cathedral.

One of our finest Cathedrals. Going off-topic (what? Never!), the 60th Rifles memorial on the Green, adjacent to the West Door is one of my favourites.

One of our finest Cathedrals. Going off-topic (what? Never!), the 60th Rifles memorial on the Green, adjacent to the West Door is one of my favourites.

A knud or knut is a knot in Luxembourgish. The square known as the knuedler in the city centre takes its name from the monks whoose garden it once was, ?The men with knotted belts'. It is also a form of small doughnut which is cooked as half hitch.

Maybe they were an early form of the Sealed Knot?

• Admin
On 06/07/2017 at 20:45, Stoppage Drill said:

"Where are the lads of the village tonight,

Where are the knuts we knew,

In Piccadilly ? In Leicester Square ? No, not there.

No, not there. They're taking a trip on the Continong,

With their rifles and bayonets bright.

Facing danger gladly, where they're needed badly.

That's where they are tonight."

Popular song. Words and music by R. P. Weston and Herman Darewski.

The song quoted in the OP was associated with a character "Gilbert the Filbert, the knut with a K" created by Basil Hallam Radford, whose stage name was Basil Hallam. An Old Carthusian, he was killed in action on 20 August 1916.

And buried at Couin 

IMG_1106.JPG.4991863c46b094a7edc864427b69cb76.JPG

Knut...I often wondered.  Thank you.  Rob.

Capture.PNG.bc91264a3105401fa57f0ce8b0fa0708.PNG

• 4 months later...

In a letter to his future wife, the then 20 year old Iris Hotblack, in December 1914, Alan 'Balmy' Morton (Rugby educated, his nicknamed given to him by their Sports Master) used the term when describing the place where he was stationed in XX X XX [Redacted] as ‘thick with Generals Smith Dorrien, Sir John French, The Prince of Wales and all the knuts’. I've found the word used to describe some men of the Cardiff Pals who liked to keep up appearances no matter their circumstances (roughing it on straw, days spent doing physical training, drilling and route marches). Reeves photographers active in Lewes in 1914 (and still going strong in 2017) took photographs of recruits billeted on the town. These 'knut' types stand out because of their stiff-white collars and ties. 

• 6 years later...

Luxembourgish for a small hand knot shaped doughnut. Lovely.

Never heard of a Knut but I found what they like to wear?

Extract from The Literary Digest 23/1/1915, discussing enlistment.

TEW

01gsh.jpg.481853bdad6385b5ac0cf307f3db625b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've published this before on another topic. But this is a photograph of the Leicester contingent of the 16th KRRC, believed to be at Denham in 1915. The inscribing of huts with references to knuts seems to be popular. 

LeicsKnutsresize.jpg.7d9b65902179296a42ab52bc58ffdf0a.jpg

Hi,

found this on the LCFC page on the internet:

Old football magazines, from the 1920s, such as Football & Sports Favourite and All Sports Weekly refer to Leicester City as the ‘Knuts’ (alluding to filbert nuts), and the ‘Citizens’.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

That’s very interesting. I’m sure there must be a connection with Leicester City’s stadium prior to the King Power being on Filbert Street.