Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Catacombs at Hyde Park Corner

Chris_Baker

The diary of the 25th Divisional Pioneer battalion, the 6th South Wales Borderers, refers to them moving into the catacombs at Hyde Park Corner in April 1918. I have not heard of these before; can anyone shed any light on this?

Chris - The Catacombs were constructed by the 1st Australian Tunneling Company at Hill 63 over a three month period (in 1917 I think) at Hill 63 near to Plugstreet Wood. It's official name was Hill 63 Dugouts but the Aussies called in Wallangara, everyone else seemed to call them the Catacombs.

If you look in Tony Spagnoly and Ted Smith's book 73A Walk Around Plugstreet there is a description on page 73.

Hope this helps.

Chris - If you go to the Ypres Salient at some point you can still see an enterance to the Catacombs.

I'm not up on the exact ;) location and I'm sure Jacky'll be able to direct you better than I. It is roughly as follows:

Stand facing the Ploegseert Memorial, turn right and walk along the road.

Take the first road on the left and head down towards Red Lodge.

The enterance to the Catacombs are on your right handside up a bankside in the undergrowth.

Hope this is of furthur help! :blink:

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The diary of the 25th Divisional Pioneer battalion, the 6th South Wales Borderers, refers to them moving into the catacombs at Hyde Park Corner in April 1918. I have not heard of these before; can anyone shed any light on this?

Chris,Do you have the 6th South Wales Borderers war diary entries for the 9th,10th and 11th April 1918?

Chris - If you go to the Ypres Salient at some point you can still see an enterance to the Catacombs.

I'm not up on the exact ;) location and I'm sure Jacky'll be able to direct you better than I. It is roughly as follows:

Stand facing the Ploegseert Memorial, turn right and walk along the road.

Take the first road on the left and head down towards Red Lodge.

The enterance to the Catacombs are on your right handside up a bankside in the undergrowth.

Hope this is of furthur help! :blink:

Your directions are spot on as you head for red lodge on your right theres a path leading up to the top of hill 63 before you get to the top walk back along the side of the slope toward the road you are on top of the main entrance to the catacombs,im not saying its not there BUT she who must be obeyed and myself spent half an hour and we couldnt see anything.

biff

• 1 month later...

If the entrance is still visible, how does one recognize it? Surely the tunnels must be caved in or flooded or otherwise inaccessible by now?

Chris,Do you have the 6th South Wales Borderers war diary entries for the 9th,10th and 11th April 1918?

Oddly enough, I don't. I vaguely recall getting a photocopy and sending it to someone. Sorry.

• 4 months later...

The local authority has placed many helpful information boards around the Ploegsteert Area including one near to the old entrance to the Catacombs. A photo of the notice board and a close up are enclosed.

Bernard

Detail

post-23884-013087000 1287608371.jpg

post-23884-063842500 1287608460.jpg