Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallantry Awards to Army Chaplains 1914-18

Audax

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. Please post details if you know of a clergyman who won the MC whilst serving as an an Army Chaplain 1914-18 with the British Army.

<i>

note</i> T B Hardy VC DSO MC is number 114 on the list at the top of the thread.

This is part of an image of a Reverend JB Marshall MC following his investiture at Buckingham Palace on 22.08.1917 - can anyone add any information on him please???

MB

post-20647-047565700 1292421209.jpg

One to add: Rev K Jackson attd 1/4th Ox and Bucks, on the Somme, August 1916. The citation is in the Bn. history although I can't lay my hands on the book at present (behind the Christmas tree I think!). I also have his manuscript diary for the first part of his time in France.

Many thanks....

See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6724681&queryType=1&resultcount=11

Rev Fr James B Marshall MC was from St Francis, Northampton and attached to the 21st Division. For more detail see 'The Cross on the Sword' by Tom Johnstone & James Hagerty published by Geoffrey Chapman 1996 ISBN 0 225 66825 4.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

One to add: Rev K Jackson attd 1/4th Ox and Bucks, on the Somme, August 1916. The citation is in the Bn. history although I can't lay my hands on the book at present (behind the Christmas tree I think!). I also have his manuscript diary for the first part of his time in France.

I guess we will have to wait a while then?

A

Five days and counting. I've got a transcripo of the diary some where which I will scan in and PM to you. John

The citation for Jackson's MC reads:

On the night of 19/7/16 SW of Pozieres, as Regimental Chaplain when stretcher beareres are scarce, he voluntarily accompanied the Battalion Medical Officer and a relief party for evacuating the wounded from a trench in the front line, whence it had not been possible to move them before the Battalion was relieved. He himself carried in a wounded man from the front line trench upwards of half-a-mile to a position of safety through a barrage of gas shells.

John

• 1 month later...

Reverend W.H. Aglionby in mentioned in the Regimental History of the Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regimentbt C.T. Atkinson.

He served with the 2/4th Bn and was awarded his M.C. whilst serving with them in Palestine during the offensive on Hill 1250 - a ridge about Am Kohleh and El Khuweulifeh.

The extract is as follows:

"This last officer received the M.C. for his gallantry and good leading on November 3rd and 4th[1917], and same distinction was conferred on the battalion’s Chaplain, Reverend W. H. Aglionby, who had done magnificent work in going out under the heaviest fire to search for the wounded."

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Padre Bennett, 2/8 Royal Warwicks, won the MC for rescue work among the wounded post Fromelles attack by 2/6 and 2/7 Royal Warwicks on the Wick etc at Fromelles 19.7.16

The reverend swallow mentioned was arthur kenelm swallow who later founded Coventry preparatory School now part of King Henry VIII School in Coventry now called Swallow's Campus. If you need further info on him let me know

• 4 months later...

Can anyone tell me how, where or when the Rev. Edward Keble TALBOT won his MC (gazetted June 3rd 1916)?

Thank you.

This is one of the Rev Kenelm Swallows MC photos. He described going over the top and raised the cross above his head, the Germans spotted him and ceased fire allowing him to enter the cross in the ground

post-7184-0-26062000-1309475073.jpg

Revd.Elijah Cobham, M.A.,M.C., was killed in action at Mihambia, G.E.A., on 19th Sept.,1917. M.C. gazetted L.G. 8th March,1918, no citation recorded here, however a statement of the services for which the decoration was awarded was issued to his next of kin(his brother Revd.G.H.Cobham) on 13th January,1919, as follows:-

Awarded the Military Cross

A/Chaplain(E.Afr.Appt.) Reverend Elijah Cobham, East African Chaplain.

"He met his death in attempting to bring in wounded under heavy fire. He had already rescued two men and was shot whilst bringing in a third.

An officer who exercised a great power for good over all ranks, and one who could ill be spared."

• 8 months later...

I have located the names of 32 chaplains who received a bar. That's 64 M.C.s I have a feeling that might be some not on my list! please help if you can!

Baddeley W H

Banham V G

Bloxam J F

Browne F M

Browne J O'R

Crawley A S

Edge Partington E F

Evers M S

Gibbs F A W

Green SFL

Halahan F J

Head F

Hunkin J W

Irwin R J

Jones J A

Laurie A E

Leggate H

Murray D W

Newman R E G

Paton J G

Peel M B

Phillimore S H

Popham A E

Ridgeway R W

Ross A E

Rushby W

Smissen G

Tanner E V

Thom J

Tron M

Tyndall E D

Wells E G

I don't know if you are including Canadians, if so, this is my gr. gr. uncle:

Rev. Harold McCausland, M.C., Church of England, served with 47th Battalion C.E.F.

I've put his story here, which includes links to photos, biographical information, etc.

Link to interview with Rev. McCausland regarding his Military Cross.

• 3 years later...

1. Babb Leonard John William K. 1899-1901 [Henryl. Wesleyan Minister 1908. War. 1915-19. France. Italy Chaplain to the Forces ; despatches (twice) ; M.C.

2. Thompson, Edward John. K. 1898-1902 [J. M.]. B.A. London (Sch. in English 1909). Wesleyan Minister 1909, V.-P., Wesleyan Coll.. Bankura. Lect. in Bengali, Oxiord Univ. 1923. War : Mesopotamia and Palestine, Chaplain to the Forces ; M.C. ; despatches

Both extracts taken from Kingswood school (Bath) Archives

Rev Father Joseph McHardy MC RC Padre to the Tyneside Scottish Brigade

Rev E F Duncan MC Chaplain to the 27th (4th Tyneside Irish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

regards

John

• 1 year later...

Rev Thomas Harper MC - A.Ch.D.  LG 30 July 1919 Citation   On 3rd Oct 1918,during the attack on Ramicourt & Wiancourt, he attached hinself to the bearers of a field ambulance,pushed forward through the enemy barrage & proceeded to search for the wounded.    He worked many hours under very heavy shell & machine gun fire,finding wounded,dressing them & guiding squads of bearers to them.   He was undoubtably the means of saving many lives & by his courage & devotion to duty set a splendid example to the stretchers bearers working with him.

He had originally enlisted as a private in the RAMC & was a Primitive Methodist minister.

He appears to have served in WW2 also as a chaplain  LG 5 March 1940.

Mike

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, FredJCarss said:

Joseph P McHardy VC, MC is buried in Ayr Cemetery, Scotland

He was never awarded the V.C. as far as I am aware.

Steve

Three of the Anglicans, Tubby Clayton, Edge-Partington (MC and Bar), and Alfred Lllewellyn Jones were all curates in the one parish, St Mary's Portsea, which by 1918 had ten curates listed as serving as padres. 

Keith

IMG_1302.JPG

regarding post 46 (quote lost when posting)

McHardy's  grave marker (Post 45) reads Joseph Provost McHardy VO, MC Prot Ap

The VO misread as VC  possibly 

Would be interested to know what the abbreviation  VO stands for

Google suggests that it was connected with his later service in the RAF

Regards Ray

Edited by RaySearching

It is definitely a C not an O on the stone. Odd. If it was an O it would probably mean Victorian Order.

If he did not get a VC ???  The C is not a cut O, it's a very neat letter.   Obviously being what he was he would not lie or mislead. Perhaps he won it in an earlier war? He was born around 1874 according to his age on death. So in his early 40's in WW1.

• Admin
2 hours ago, FredJCarss said:

It is definitely a C not an O on the stone. Odd. If it was an O it would probably mean Victorian Order.

If he did not get a VC ???  The C is not a cut O, it's a very neat letter.   Obviously being what he was he would not lie or mislead. Perhaps he won it in an earlier war? He was born around 1874 according to his age on death. So in his early 40's in WW1.

I think you will find it is a letter 'G'.

'V.G.' Is a degree or rank of a priest in the Catholic Church and stands for Vicarius Generalis or Vicar General, appointed by the Bishop of the Diocese and essentially his deputy and arbiter of Canon Law

see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicar_general

The inscription is very much of its time.  

'Monsignor'  was an honorific and was abandoned (as always with exceptions) by Pope Francis three years ago.  He was also a Protonotary Apostolic, in other words a senior and respected figure in the Church in Scotland as well as a gallant Army Chaplain, but not the holder of the Victoria Cross. 

(And nowt to do with his RAF service)

Ken