Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

connaught rangers vol 3

barkalotloudly

I have vol 3 of the Connaught rangers containing records of the 5th and 6th service battalions as well as brief records of all officers who served in the regiment if anybody would like information please let me know.

Hi,

I would be very interested in anything that it says about the 5th in Gallipoli, up until 27th August 1915, when my g-g-uncle was killed attacking Hill 60. I doubt he's mentioned, but here's his name anyway, L/Cpl Charles Jarvis.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim, there is a considerable amount of information and several maps concerning this attack no mention of your uncle by name best regards John

John,

Thanks for looking I appreciate it. One thing I'm interested in is when the battalion was relieved. There are only a few men (including Charlie) whose date of death is the 27th, with many more being recorded as the 28th. I've often wondered if he was killed early on, (ie in the assembly trenches) and thus considered to have fallen on this day.

I've also heard of rumors that members of the battalion were executed after surrendering during this fighting (can't ascertain whether it refers to 21 or 27 Aug)....

Cheers,

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi, when you have time could you look up

Serjeant Michael Dixon Reg. 5405 Died 7/6/1917

Any info on him or what was happening at time of his death.

With thanks

Isadore

Is this the history by Jourdain?

If so, I'd like to ask if the dislike he is alleged to have had for Feilding (CO of 6th CRs from mid 1916 to March 1918 comes through in the writing/treatment?

Des

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pmcrory

Hi there. My great uncle served as the RC chaplain to the 1st bn Connaught Rangers for about 6-mths from the beginning of 1918. His name was Capt/Rev James McRory. I'm working on the presumption that the bn would have been somewhere between Baghdad and Mosul at this time. I'm keen to find any mention of him in the Battallion's histories, and to fine-tune the activities that he may have been witness to during this period. Can anyone help? Many thanks. Paul

I have vol 3 of the Connaught rangers containing records of the 5th and 6th service battalions as well as brief records of all officers who served in the regiment if anybody would like information please let me know.

With thanks

Isadore

which battalion please? regards John

Is this the history by Jourdain?

If so, I'd like to ask if the dislike he is alleged to have had for Feilding (CO of 6th CRs from mid 1916 to March 1918 comes through in the writing/treatment?

Des

i must confess have not read it all, most of the regimental histories are information only books as opposed to a "good read"

Hi there. My great uncle served as the RC chaplain to the 1st bn Connaught Rangers for about 6-mths from the beginning of 1918. His name was Capt/Rev James McRory. I'm working on the presumption that the bn would have been somewhere between Baghdad and Mosul at this time. I'm keen to find any mention of him in the Battallion's histories, and to fine-tune the activities that he may have been witness to during this period. Can anyone help? Many thanks. Paul

paul, i do not have the volume concerning the first battalion, the only thing i do have is a couple of very scarce little books called "war jottings" written and published in India by Fred Peal, chaplain to the 1st battalion i believe in 1914/15.

regards John

With thanks

Isadore

Hi John. He served with 6th. Batt.

Thanks

Isadore

There had been an incident with the 6th Connaught's on the 20th of February 1917 near Wijtschaete. They did an important raid and there was a kind of a cease- fire with the Germans to bury the dead afterwards.

Is something of this incident mentioned, and maybe also the reaction of the Brigade/ Divisional HQ afterwards (Divisional Comd Hickie was not too pleased with this behaviour)? So it can be important to have a look on the days after the 20st also.

Many thanks

Erwin

Hi John. He served with 6th. Batt.

Thanks

Isadore

hi an attack at wytschaete,with the munster fusiliers, the casuaties are listed as 4 men killed 34 wounded and 2 missing, best regards john

There had been an incident with the 6th Connaught's on the 20th of February 1917 near Wijtschaete. They did an important raid and there was a kind of a cease- fire with the Germans to bury the dead afterwards.

Is something of this incident mentioned, and maybe also the reaction of the Brigade/ Divisional HQ afterwards (Divisional Comd Hickie was not too pleased with this behaviour)? So it can be important to have a look on the days after the 20st also.

Many thanks

Erwin

hi yes the cease fire is mentioned, no mention of any reaction from anybody higher up

regards john

hi an attack at wytschaete,with the munster fusiliers, the casuaties are listed as 4 men killed 34 wounded and 2 missing, best regards john

Thanks for that John, you said there is mention of records of officers. is there any mention of him there?

Thanks

Isadore

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your offer to search. Thomas Hanley (b. 1860, d. 1929) served as a member of the Connaught Rangers. Do you have any information on him? If not, can you direct me to where I might find such info. Jeano

• 3 months later...

Hello Desmond I know little about my Great Uncle Daniel Cassidy Pte 4684 Connaught Rangers Sixth Service Battalion who went to War 17/12/1915 and he fought at the Battle of Messines June 6th/7th 1917 was wounded and died 8th June 1917. I have his medal record, three medals 1914-1917 Star, British Medal and Victory Medal, but nothing about his date of birth or even a photograph of him as my father was born in the 1920`s and all he knew was "Missing Presumed Dead" until 2000 when we found out where he was buried in Bailluel Cementry. My sister went over to record his grave for our father so he could see where his Uncle is and there was no DOB but we think he was 22 or younger. Is there any photos in that record or is there somewhere else i can look to get a photo of him

Yours

The Cassidy Family

• 4 months later...

Hi

are still doing lookups on the 5th conn rangers

my grandfather private 5547 michael rush was in the 5th. also i think his brother private 664 james p rush

but i cannot find james's adress between 1915 1922 it could be he stayed in co mayo his birth place unlike his brother michael who came to england and live in st helens lancashire at the time

could you please advise on which way if possible to find this infomation.