Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriation of the fallen

Clive Maier

Reply there was another thread on this concerning some polo players I was researching. I came across another incident yesterday, died at Neuve Chappelle had a local service there and body bought home.

Trying to remember where it was and who...

• 2 weeks later...

I may very well have got this wrong, but I had always assumed Flight Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Warneford VC RNAS was repatriated. Died of wounds in Versailles June 1915, and buried in Brompton Cemetery.

Happy to be corrected!

Charles

Was the situation different for American casualties? In Heaton Cemetery, Bolton, is the grave of Sergeant Reginald Victor Taylor, American Expeditionary Force. He died in France on 10th January, 1919, and was reinterred at Heaton Cemetery on 10th February 1922.

Was the situation different for American casualties? In Heaton Cemetery, Bolton, is the grave of Sergeant Reginald Victor Taylor, American Expeditionary Force. He died in France on 10th January, 1919, and was reinterred at Heaton Cemetery on 10th February 1922.

At least in WW2 American dead were almost all repatriated to the USA. For example, after the Battle of the BUlge, about 9,000 dead were interred in Luxembourg, and about 80,000 died.

• 5 years later...

Warneford was indeed repatriated - and 10,000 flocked to his funeral. Daily Express readers paid for his headstone memorial: ttps://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/59148

Don't know why this is on the IWM Register, as it's a grave, rather than a commemoration to someone whose body lies elsewhere - which is the definition for the category of memorials known as 'Additions to gravestone'.

Warneford is rather over-commemorated in Exmouth - I'm just doing the list for Holy Trinity Church, where he appears. He's also on the newish granite tablets added to the original town memorial on The Strand - which is where his VC centenary tablet is located. Another memorial is in the Town Hall.

The Americans were even  willing to repatriate to England if the family wished. Ince Urban District Cemetery, on Warrington Road, Lower Ince, Wigan has the grave of David Cound Morgan, whose mother had his body repatriated:

Morgan David C. 31 yrs Mouroux S.-et-M. France 18-May 1922 American Soldier C 1169 C of E

PICT0001.jpeg

And to Wales.

John Lloyd Hughes is buried at Capel Caeathro some 2 miles from Caernarfon. The stone has the following inscription

" The remains of the above John Lloyd Hughes were brought over by the Government of the USA and interred here November 12 1922"