Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyclops

Leighfield

Found this on the web

HMS Cyclops,(F31) (ex merchant ship Indrabarah) built by Laing and launched 27th October 1905. Displacement: 11,300 tons, Speed 13 knots, Compliment: 266, Armament: Two 4 - inch Guns, served during world war one and served in WW2 as a fleet repair ship. Between the war she served as a Submarine depot ship in the Mediterranean, and returned to Home Waters late in 1939. where she spent the war years until being scrapped at Newport July 1947.

Cyclops, ex Indrabarah. Cyclops was built by Laing, Sunderland. she was purchased on the stocks during 1905.

During the war she served with the Grand Fleet as a repair ship.

Launched 27/10/1905

Pendant No. A1 [1914] C5 [1/1918]

11, 300 tons

460' X 55' X 10' 3"

Triple Expansion Engines = 1100 indicated horse power = 10 1/2 knots.

Note: She was later converted into a depot ship for submarines.

Arrived 29/6/1947 Cashmore, Newport for breaking up.

Arthur

Dittmar and Colledge Warships of WW1 give the following.

11,300 tons, 460 x 55 x 21 feet, 3,500 shp = 11.5knots. Armed 6 x 4 inch , Pennant No A1 in 1914, C5 in 1918. Purchased on stocks 27th October 1905 ex Indrabarah,builder Laing. Cyclops served with the Grand Fleet as depot repair ship.

Lenton and Colledge Warships of WW2 gives the addition.

11,300 tons, 460 x 55 x 21.5 feet (gained 6 inches??) , 1 shaft reciprocating 3,500 ihp = 13 knots

Armed 2 x 4 inch, complement 266, Pennant No F31.

scrapped Newport July 1947.

notes: Submarine depot ship in the East Indies 1939, returning to home waters in that year where she was employed for the remainder of the war.

Looks like she had a big refit between the wars.

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks gents for your posts.

I'm pretty new to this, but would there be a navy equivalent of a war diary (log) for the Cyclops and where would it be held?.

The reason I wan't to know is that an 'incident' was supposed to have occurred at sometime during the war, which resulted in an 'award' of an inscribed pocket watch from the crew to my Great Uncle.

Regards

Andy

Leighfield

There are indeed ships logs which are kept at the National Archives (formerly Public Records Office) although I'm not sure if they are all there. A search on their on line catalogue might be beneficial.

If you can locate the log for that day it will probably be very detailed. I found the log book for HMS Euryalus for the day my gt uncle was killed and it provided a wealth of information including the details of how he died.

I'll try to attach a photo so you can see for yourself.

Regards

Rob

If you can locate the log for that day it will probably be very detailed.

Do these ship's logs feature lists or details of sailors either joining the crew manifest from elsewhere, or being transferred of the ship?

Ian

I have only had one page of the log of HMS Euryalus copied but I seem to recall that there were comments such as "Petty Officer Smith and 5 seamen joined ship" on other pages.

Rob,

That looks like an entry in the Daily Occurences Log which was maintained by the Q.M and/or Bosuns Mate on the Gangway whilst alongside.

The Master at Arms would also have a Log called the 'Souls Onboard' Log which had details of all personnell currently billetted onboard.

And, of course, the Supply Officer would have a record of all Joiners and Drafters for both the Ships Office for Pay and the Caterers for Food.

Then there is the ubiquitious 'Captains Log' and the O.O.W Log on the Bridge at Sea and finally there is the HQ1 Log (although I don't know if they used these in WW1)