Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terror In The Skies

Guest Pete Wood

From a newspaper August 1916. Letter regarding warnings and clearings.

These warnings appear to have been broadcast by a "buzzer". Can anyone add to this ?

I came across a couple of lines in some papers with regard to the Air Defence of London which states ".... the system of using operators to call many telephones at once, as an audible warning when Zeppelins were approaching, was classed as a failure. The noise of the buzzers was not sufficient to wake the local population...."

So I'm now unsure if my earlier answer is totally accurate - as 'calling someone on the buzzer' is a well-known term for the use of a telephone.

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested to read the various posts on the Zeppelin subject. I have an ancestor who was killed in a Zeppelin raid on London on September 8th 1915. The family "tale" was slightly inaccurate but it took a long while to sort out.

Henry Coombes was killed at Lambs Conduit Passage, Holborn, London during a Zeppelin raid on London. All that was left of him to identify him, was a ring from his finger. In researching the incident, many people suggested sources and books, for which I was very grateful - but the most interesting reply I had was from the London Fire Brigade. They sent me photocopies of the pages relating to the incidents of that night.

Guest Pete Wood

I believe your ancestor went outside the Dolphin pub to actually watch the Zeppelin (commanded by Mathy) dropping its bombs?? A tragic death. Coombes is mentioned in the book, Baby Killers.

I don't know if you have been in the Dolphin pub, but inside you will find the original clock that stopped (through damage) when the bomb was dropped. The hands still read 10.58 (if memory serves me right).

The fire report is interesting. I have not seen it, and would be grateful for a copy. I believe it will also report on the death of Fireman Green who died while trying to fight the blaze...? Green was awarded a posthumous silver medal for his bravery.

Thanks for the reply - Henry Coombes is also mentioned in another book about the Zeppelin Raids (someone sent me a photoocopy of the pages ) "War on the Great Cities" by Frank Morrison - complete with a picture of the outside and inside of the pub. It took some tracing as my father only refered to his cousin as "Bluff".

The pages about the reports ( from the London Fire Brigade museum) are too large to scan and post on the site - 6 A3 pages! I cannot find Fireman Green mentioned by name - although it mentions the incident at Numbers 7 & 10 Lambs Conduit Street - one of which was a fried fish shop (the incident is mentioned in the Frank Morrison book).

The layout of the reports give : Place;Name of occupier of premises; Business; Name and residence of landlord;supposed cause of fire;Where insured and number of policy;damage.

For Henry Coombes it reads:"Lambs Conduit Passage; Gas Light and Coke Company; Expolsive bomb; unknown (insurer) "A quantity of Gas destroyed and about 6 feet of gas main damaged by explosion. Henry Coombs aged 23 years killed and 9 males and seven females (names and ages unknown) injured"

If you wish, I'll try and send you photocopies or prints of the report?

My dad was alive when the first Gotha raids took place on Ilford and he remembered there being a red and green light in the local town hall which was their air raid system... yes he was frightened but that about all.

He lived in Ilford and was about 6 or 7 at the time

I live near Billericay and that was the site of the first downed zeppelin I believe

John