Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Siege Battery RGA

KONDOA

Chums,

This battery apparently comprised of some men from Hull. Allegedly there is a list of all the men of the Battery at Dover Castle which hopefully a Chum has already photographed??

Does any one have any details regarding their formation and service please.

Replies much appreciated as always.

Roop

Roop,

The 29th for the 1916 three month period they were attached to the 42nd HAG coincide with a battery I was researching, so I can tell you they are mentioned only on 4 pages out of a possible 30 covering those 3 months. I presume that is because the diaries say that only one section of the 29th joined the 42nd HAG, which was commanded by a Captain Austin Leigh from 22/04/16 to 15/06/16. They are mentioned specifically on the 11/5/16, position Beauvy, as having fixed on a enemy HV gun at coordinates H3D76 (Hindenburg trench) during an attack by the huns. That is all so not worth getting that particular diary out. Email me if you would like to see a copy of the relevant pages.

Regards

Paul

Stuart & Paul,

Thanks for those snippets they are excellent. Since posting this morning I recieved an envelope which contained some photocopies of the battery which may be of interest to some.

It may be safely assumed the battery was formed at Dover. It would be a great resource if a local chum could get a legible picture of this Nominal Roll from Dover.

Now Chums! This photo was with the 29th Siege Battery pics. Given Stuarts info above I have my doubts that it is the 29th SB as this is an early Mark XIX Gun 6" not a Mark VII. There will be a substansive prize :lol: if the location can be determined by the eagle eyed or knowledgable.

There would appear to be railcars behind the lads.

Roop

Roop

I know the Mk 19 Gun didn't come into use until 17 but I don't know when. Of the 6" Gun batteries sent out to the WF during 17/18, twelve were armed on leaving Britain, the others were either sent out as ' personnel only' and broken up on arrival or waited for the guns to arrive, spending their time manning other batteries guns or preparing gun pits etc.

Those leaving armed were - 393, 449, 450, 479, 480, 484, 498, 500, 503, 504, 527 & 528. If you knew a date from which MK 19's were supplied to the Front then you could possibly eliminate some.

As for the photo, the sun appears to be behind the group which suggests the railway tracks are pointing west. If this was taken in France I'd expect the lines to point east. So it may be one of the above batteries prior to leaving for France.

The man on the right seems to have a flag furled up over his shoulder with some sort of emblem on it. The dog sitting next to the man kneeling at the front is called Bob.

This prize better be good

Stuart

Roop,

Can you enlarge the portions of the image with the names so that we can read the list?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Roop,

I must get new glasses....!

Roop

" It may be safely assumed the battery was formed at Dover. It would be a great resource if a local chum could get a legible picture of this Nominal Roll from Dover. "

If you can say where this plaque is sited I know someone who lives/works nearby and will do the David Bailey thing.

Stuart

Roop

David Bailey didn't want to pay to go into the castle to take a picture so I slung the kids in the van and spent the day down there.

Its not a plaque it is a glass framed, hand drawn / coloured memorial scroll hanging in St Mary's Church which is within the grounds of the castle. A very nice church warden allowed me to climb up and take it off the wall to photo, it's 8/9 feet off the floor.

I have a picture of the RGA barracks and store also. I'll have to resize the the pics but just for now.....

Stuart

post-6041-1139090074.jpg