Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portuguese units early 1918

olosangus

I know that the Portuguese 2nd Division was at Estaires in April 1918 but does anyone know where the 1st Division was in early 1918. I believe that they were somewhere near Arras and I am particuarly interested to find out what British units were in their vicinity at this time . Thanks

Was their a 1st Division, on the WF? I had a look at the Official History, and there is no mention of it. It just shows the 2nd Division, with three Brigades in the line.

Laurent, one of the French contributors to this forum, has a local expert on the Portuguese in his area - hopefully he will reply?

Yes there definitely was a First Portuguese Division. It had been withdrawn from the line by First Army the day before I think. Yes, just checked ARHAM's Bulletin No 4 (published by Laurent's group). On the 8th April 1st Port Div left the front line for "La region des Desvres" for rest and training. 3rd Port Bde, 1st Port Div was left as support brigade (on the "Villages" line) to the 2nd Port Div, who were expecting to be relieved on the 9/10th by the 50th & 51st Brit Divs.

At the time both divisions were part of XI Corps, whose other units were 3rd, 51st, 55th and 61st Divisions, and King Edward's Horse (XI Corps cav).