Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Button - Australian Military Forces

Guest JVNo1fan

Not a great image, but it is the one out of my insurance catalogue rather than the detailed quality needed.

I will get another photo if needed.

Richard

CollectionInsurance346.jpg

CollectionInsurance347.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Bit hard to tell from the images, but it appears the waist coat is the WW2 version. The colour of the wool appears to be the same as the other WW2 waist coats that we see about. The label is also indicative for WW2 manufactured clothing. I have examples of the 'plastic' buttons but in the smaller jacket size (32 lines), not the great coat size (39 lines) found on the MGs waist coats. I can not recall ever having seen these 'plastic' buttons on a uniform before, but as they are quite hard to tell the difference between nice new blackened bronze Australia buttons, I may have over looked them in the past.

Thanks Dan for the 'Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing - 1912' - reference, I could not find my copy.

• 6 years later...

Dear Interested AMF Button Collectors,

Would a kind collector please upload a Tiptaft back marked Australian Military Forces button onto this thread?

Front and Back image please?

Thank you in anticipation.

Campbell

• 4 years later...

I have found Australian military buttons in Jerusalem  from 3 manufactures :

stokes and sons

Luke 

pj King Pty

I want to know which are 

WW1 and which WW2

Stokes & Sons can be either war, the attached link will show different styles that gives some assistance in dating examples

http://www.ausbuttonhistory.com/?page_id=184

Luke, WW2 only, see

http://www.ausbuttonhistory.com/?page_id=266

PJ King Pty Ltd, can be either war, an examination of the buttons would give a better indication. see

http://www.ausbuttonhistory.com/?page_id=10901

The usual rule of thumb is that map of Australia blackened brass buttons should be treated as WW2 until they are confirmed as WW1. They were general issue on wool caps (peak & forage) in both wars, general issue on OR & Officer tunics in WW2. In WW1 they appear to be on about half of all officer tunics (plaited leather on the others). WW1 ORs tunics used bone, celluloid or plaited leather buttons. However many soldiers acquired Map of Australia buttons for their best/walking out tunic, particularly after the armistice.

With surviving WW1 tunics it is not unusual to find WW2 blackened map of Australia buttons, where the tunic was tarted up after WW2 to be used for ANZAC Day parades. Back in the 1970s quite a few of the old diggers who still marched in uniform, used WW2 tunics, not just the WW2 buttons.

I am no expert on greatcoat buttons, but the WW2 greatcoats appear to have mostly used brown plastic buttons, so the large size buttons are most likely WW1.

Cheers

Ross